I need help/advice with what subjects to opt for in IB.

blite

I'm currently taking IGCSE, and taking my boards in May. My school is somewhat new, so we don't have much of a choice when it comes to subjects(in IGCSE).

These are the subjects I'm currently taking, with their subject code for reference:

All are Extended where applicable.

• Mathematics (580)
  • English Language Arts (500)
  • ICT (417)
  • Spanish (530)
  • Physics (625)
  • Chemistry (620)
  • Biology (610)
  • Economics (455)

These are the IB subjects that my school offers:

Group 1: 

• English A Language and Literature HL/SL

Group 3:

• Business and Management HL/SL
  • Economics HL/SL
  • History HL/SL
  • Psychology HL/SL
  • Environmental Systems & Societies SL

Group 4:

• Physics HL/SL
  • Chemistry HL/SL
  • Biology HL/SL
  • Environmental Systems & Societies SL 
  • Computer Science HL/SL

Group 5:

• Mathematics HL/SL
  • Math Studies SL

Group 6:

• Visual Arts HL/SL

I haven't listed Group 2 since I'm sure I'll take Spanish B(I've been taking Spanish for the past 4 years). I'll also be taking a different subject in place of Visual Arts.

I'm still not too sure what I'd like to do in the future. Personally, I'd like to take Computer Science and Psychology at HL, since I love them a lot. I don't have too much knowledge on Psychology aside from books I've read, but I'm very interested in it. I'm pretty sure I'll be taking Mathematics at SL since I'm not great enough that I think I can take it at HL, and Math Studies isn't usually accepted by many colleges. I'm not too sure what to take as another HL or SL though. English will obviously be one, but although I like it a lot, at the moment, I can't score too well at it, usually a B, and occasionally an A. I do like Economics, however I'm not too sure on it either.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not familiar with IGCSE but I'll leave a comment so to "bump up" the post. You can try to search for keywords for your subjects in the search bar above, so you can read the numerous replies in relation to course selection. If you would like to double in a group, I recommend doubling in Group 4, where Computer science may or may not be taken, depending on how comfortable you are with coding and debugging. Probably Physics SL or Chemistry SL. I wouldn't really recommend Biology SL since there are a lot of concepts to learn/memorize; if you want to take biology, take it at HL. If you don't really like coding then maybe two of Economics/Chemistry/Physics, because they are suitable for someone moderately good at math. Generally if you are applying to schools that don't require math HL, you don't need either physics or chemistry at HL. I took physics, chemistry, and biology in high school, although not all in IB, with biology in summer school. Finally I want to remind you that many people around the world who are bilingual or goes to a bilingual school and attends IB, so Language B HL may not be the best idea. With that said, I recommend following combinations or similar ones:

1) Lang/Lit HL, Spanish B SL, Psychology HL, Computer Science HL, Physics SL, Math(s) SL.

2) Lang/Lit HL, Spanish B SL, Psychology HL, Computer Science HL, Chemistry SL, Math(s) SL.

3) Lang/Lit HL, Spanish B SL, Psychology HL, Physics HL, Chemistry SL, Math(s) SL.

3) Lang/Lit HL, Spanish B SL, Psychology HL, Economics SL, Physics HL, Math(s) SL. etc.

• Like 1