Psych HL, Bio and Chem?

Ewa Oz

Hey, I have a problem picking IB subjects... I'm in Pre-IB and I'm considering studying psychology or medicine. The problem is that I have: Maths SL, Polish SL and English B HL.

So I have to pick two HL's and one SL form the group of Psychology-Biology-Chemistry. 

Which combination would allow me to apply for both courses? And if English B HL combined with Maths SL doesn't block my way for any of those? 

I'm considering studing in GB or elsewhere in the EU, the cheapest possible. 

I would be really grateful if someone who has been trough such situation would contact me and help a bit with how to organize the subjects :) And if Psychology HL then Biol or Chem HL?

Thank you!!

Hey! I am considering studying medicine as well, and my subject choices are HL chem & bio and SL psychology, which seems to be a good choice for most universities that I am thinking of applying to. Most unis in the UK require HL chemistry + either HL biology or physics for medicine, all other subjects are pretty much up to you (however I am not sure about the English B one, perhaps you could search around or email specific universities to see if they have anything against this).

I am not thinking of applying for psychology, but all of my friends are, and they take SL biology & psychology (and no chemistry). BUT what you should choose depends on the psychology course. One awards you a Bachelor of Arts degree while another awards you a Bachelor of Science degree. If you consider applying for the latter (science), then I think you should at least have 2 HL sciences. But gahhh, don't trust me on this because I've researched this very briefly and cannot say anything for sure :((

But, from all of this I would say: definitely choose biology HL. If you want to get into medicine, choose chemistry HL as well, if you only have one of them in HL, it will limit your university choices considerably. I think I read somewhere that psychology as a subject is not even a requirement for most psychology courses, so I think that psychology SL would be more than enough. But as I said, you should not trust me on this and rather do your own research. Or even better, contact the universities directly and ask if your subject choices are alright. Good luck! :')

summary: HL biology and chemistry + SL psychology seems like an okay choice for both medicine and psychology

Edited by myjn
  • Like 2