Too risky university choices? UK

alexalexalex

Hi!

In the fall I will be applying to universities (UK)

I will probably be predicted 41-42 points with 776 (7 in maths and physics) in my HLs and these are the universities I want to apply to: 

Oxford

Imperial

UCL

Edinburgh

Glasgow

I want to study something with maths / physics / computer science. 

I know that all of these universities are incredibly difficult to get into and I was wondering whether you guys think that I ought to applying to some universities with lower requirements just in case? Do you think it's too risky? I really don't know, especially as I'm theoretically above the min entry requirement (though I understand that you often need above the min requirement to actually get in). I just don't want to end up only getting accepted to 1 or no universities. 

Thank you!! 

Alex 

Edited by alexalexalex

I think it is still a bit too early to speculate on the predicted grades, but it's good you're planning early! 

Since you apply to the UK, remember there are many other factors they look at in terms of your application - entry tests, personal statement, work experience, extracurriculars, and even interviews. Since we know so little about you except for your good, hypothetical grades, we cannot really advise you further. We can't see much of your passion in what you provided us with (the grades, really...), which is something unis look for in an applicant! :)

All of the universities you mentioned are very competitive, especially for the named courses. You will compete with many others who have similar stats, so you have to prepare for that. I have been advised, however, to choose universities as followed: 1 exactly on your PG (i.e. Cambridge wants a 42 and you got 43 predicted), 2 which are requiring a score you'll most likely going to get (range between 38-40 maybe) and 2 which are below of what you expect (34-36). Of course, this is just a rule of thumb and doesn't apply to every situation and context. Just something worth thinking about.

Good luck!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mac117 said:

I think it is still a bit too early to speculate on the predicted grades, but it's good you're planning early! 

Since you apply to the UK, remember there are many other factors they look at in terms of your application - entry tests, personal statement, work experience, extracurriculars, and even interviews. Since we know so little about you except for your good, hypothetical grades, we cannot really advise you further. We can't see much of your passion in what you provided us with (the grades, really...), which is something unis look for in an applicant! :)

All of the universities you mentioned are very competitive, especially for the named courses. You will compete with many others who have similar stats, so you have to prepare for that. I have been advised, however, to choose universities as followed: 1 exactly on your PG (i.e. Cambridge wants a 42 and you got 43 predicted), 2 which are requiring a score you'll most likely going to get (range between 38-40 maybe) and 2 which are below of what you expect (34-36). Of course, this is just a rule of thumb and doesn't apply to every situation and context. Just something worth thinking about.

Good luck!

Hi! 

Thank you so much for answering. Yeah haha I know it's a bit tricky with the predicted grades right now but the reason I'm asking is because my family and I are taking a trip to the UK in a couple of weeks and I kind of need to think about which universities I want to visit. 

I think I'm fairly set with the extracurriculars etc. but still, the more I think about it, the more I think that I should probably look into some universities with lower requirements. Either way, thanks again for answering. 

Good luck you too :)

• Like 1

I would say that since most schools of a region (this this case, UK) have similar admission standards, it may be better to apply to just 3 of these 5 schools of which you are most interested in going. Then you should also apply for few other less competitive schools, where you would consider to attend for proximity to home, lower costs, good environment etc. For example I applied to Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and it was a bad decision because I would never go there because of how pricey it was (2-3x my current tuition). With that in mind, getting admitted to only one university is not a bad idea if you are interested in attending any of the universities you apply to. 

• 1 month later...

A bit late but ignore the above poster. 

This is a perfect UCAS application for your profile. Oxford is always a gamble, as is Imperial to an extent, but if you are predicted 40+ you're basically guaranteed an offer from Glasgow, and stand a good chance getting offers from UCL and Edinburgh. If you're an EU student, you stand a better chance getting an offer from UCL than Edinburgh, but if you're paying international fees Edinburgh will probably give you an offer, and a low one at that. 

• Like 1