Subjects don't 'sync'

Hey everyone, my subjects are Global Politics, Chinese AB Initio & English A SL and Physics, Chemistry & Maths HL. I am struggling badly with Maths HL, and seeing my recent maths exam results, my maths teacher suggested me to drop it. I discussed this with the Co-ordinator and she told me to drop Maths HL to SL and take GloPo HL instead. However, the problem with dropping with Maths HL is that those 3 HLs do not sync and most universities specify the required HL subjects for the majors they offer. Also, as I wish to study engineering in the future, dropping maths to SL is not a choice for me unless I rethink my career choice. 

I'm faced with a dilemma and welcome any helpful suggestions to this problem.

If you don't want to drop math HL, then you may need to work harder at it.  It's definitely necessary for most engineering courses, as you rightly mention.  Some tips from me that may be helpful:

• Work on becoming better at math overall.  For especially difficult problems, do not just give up and look at the answer keys.  Instead, work on them as long as you need to, until you get the answer.  It's through this method that you truly learn math, and ways to develop new techniques.  
  • Review past papers.  At the very least, you'll get used to the format, which is important.  Questions are also relatively similar from year to year - there tends to be quite a bit of calculus, and almost always a complex number/vector problem chucked in somewhere.  
  • Try to really understand the math used, instead of doing a plug-and-chug with examples  While most high school math is plug-and-chug, it just isn't enough for a 6 or 7 in HL math.  You may sometimes face a relatively novel problem in the HL math exam, and you'd need some creativity, which comes from truly understanding the math.