Course selection advice please!

tjd2757

I'm a 10th grader in MYP system, and I'm going for engineering!

The thing is, I don't know what to choose for DP next year.

Here's the rough idea:

English A SL

Korean A SL

Economics SL/HL

Mathematics HL

Physics HL

Chemistry SL/HL

I'm swaying in between Chem HL and Econ HL. I've talked to a number of juniors and seniors and even college students about it, but they all say different things!

Right now, I don't know what area in Engineering I want to apply; I'm considering as broad as possible, but excluding biology related areas.

Can anyone tell me how's taking Math Hl, Physics HL, and Chemistry HL like? Having not enough time to study for HLs and getting bad grades are the ones that I want to avoid the most!

I have taken Chem HL, and I think it can be quite difficult if you have never studied Chemistry before. I had a horrible experience in this subject due to a teacher who is not really helpful. However, I still managed to obtain high grade (7 in school) by self studying.  So, I would say you can obtain good grades in Chem HL by yourself if you are motivated.

By my observations on my friends who have taken Math and Physics HL with Chemistry HL, I would say Chem HL is the easiest subject out of the 3 to get a high grade, though I am not sure because I didn't take Math or Physics HL. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, inriya said:

I have taken Chem HL, and I think it can be quite difficult if you have never studied Chemistry before. I had a horrible experience in this subject due to a teacher who is not really helpful. However, I still managed to obtain high grade (7 in school) by self studying.  So, I would say you can obtain good grades in Chem HL by yourself if you are motivated.

By my observations on my friends who have taken Math and Physics HL with Chemistry HL, I would say Chem HL is the easiest subject out of the 3 to get a high grade, though I am not sure because I didn't take Math or Physics HL. 

Thank you so much! At least now I know it's doable! Can I ask you one more question? What was the most difficult topic in chemistry? Thanks!😊😊

1 hour ago, tjd2757 said:

Thank you so much! At least now I know it's doable! Can I ask you one more question? What was the most difficult topic in chemistry? Thanks!😊😊

I'd say that organic chemistry is the most difficult topic, because it requires knowledge of most of the syllabus to truly understand, which is why it's usually left as the last topic in my school.  

As for selecting math, chem, and physics all HL, I'd definitely say it's doable, as I have this current selection (with Further Maths too), and I'm not finding them really difficult.  However, I would like to mention that difficulty is ultimately quite subjective, and some things that you may find easy others may find difficult, and vice versa.  There are those who would find such a subject combination very difficult indeed.  

The best advice I can give you as a 10th grader is to simply just read through the topics beforehand, especially (but not limited to) during the summer break.  It's what I did for these three subjects, and it's helped me tremendously.  It may also help you realize whether or not you actually can properly learn all the material in two years time.  

Having these HLs does grant the most versatility in selecting an appropriate engineering course though - I'd imagine that you'd be free to specialize in virtually any area you wish to, from mechanical engineering to electrical engineering to chemical engineering.