Help with written assignment (previously known as world lit paper)

Tahaalizzy

I'm supposed to write a thesis, but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to write about. We read Antigone by Sophocles and Anouilh and A doll's house. If anyone has any ideas on topics I can write about I would greatly appreciate it. 

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I'm new here.

• Like 1

The thesis is the backbone of the written assignment, so the first thing to start with is a topic. This could be a character you feel resembles some importance in the story, or a recurring symbol/motif/theme that adds to the story, etc. From there, you need to think of what the author is trying to say to the reader by using that character/theme/symbol etc. For example, for my written assignment, we read Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz, and I noticed that a character in the book, Kirsha, seemed to stand out as a character who defied social norms. That is where I started: I found a character, found his purpose, and from there, my thesis evolved from that idea of defiance. (For context, I believe my thesis was "... it is true that defiance of social expectations still exists in the alley, ultimately blinding a person from loving others and drawing him to a stronger desire for others’ destruction" since Kirsha's defiance led him to hating others)

I read Antigone a few years ago, and I remember Cleos (is that his name? I can't remember) who seemed to resemble ethics, the idea that no matter what morality exists, rules must be followed. Try following that and see how and where Sophocles uses that element of Cleos' belief in ethics to build a thesis. 

Also, I would make it very important to choose a topic/theme/whatever that you are interested in, and that you feel the author clearly develops throughout the story with a purpose.

I wish you luck on your written assignment! And you are okay posting in this place. If you want a more specific place to post, there are groups of post designated to each class (lit, second language, history, sciences, etc.)