How do you think I can do in Grade 10 Pre-IB?

JBTITO

Although I am in teh second semester of Grade 9, i am very anxious about Grade 10. I got 90 in English (this mark was an outlier, i was far higher before) , 95 in maths, 96 in French, and 96 in business. In Grade 10, how do you think I can do, for all the people who have experiance? Just to shed some contextual light, I am pretty hard working, and could have gotten higher on these if not for one messup in both math and english.

You can edit your own posts by pressing the button labelled 'edit' on the bottom right of your post.  As for your question, I'd say that you should be fine in grade 10 pre-IB.  Although I've never taken it, what I've seen of the syllabus isn't too hard, and your marks are pretty high.  What I do suggest though is to also do some preparation for the actual IB itself in Grade 10, if possible, by studying up front on material, especially during the summer break before you truly enter the IBDP.  

• Like 1

I personally believe you do not have to stress out about grade 10. I did IGCSE and my marks were similar to yours in grade 9, and I did rather well in grade 10 and my IGCSE exams. Now I'm finishing IB1 and my grades actually went up in some subjects like biology and chemistry. 

Don't stress over it that much, I am sure you're going to do well if you continue at the same pace. For English I suggest reading more and watching some documentaries - I don't know why but sometimes I catch a phrase or two which I then end up using regularly in real life! 

The preparation for IB should really be thinking about what you want to study for the two years in the programme, as you don't want to take HLs which you end up hating (which is sadly sometimes the case!). Don't take HL Chemistry if you absolutely despise science, and don't take English HL if you are not passionate about literary analysis. The IB gives you two years, which is more than enough, to assimilate the content so don't fret. Just make sure the subjects you choose are what you really want (or what the unis want for your dream course, though these two should really go together...).

• Like 1

Assuming you're from Ontario, grade 10 pre-IB is nearly identical to academic grade 10 with the exception of having to do grade 11 math. In other words, it's not hard, especially considering that you currently have good grades. As long as you're able to stay disciplined, you will be 100% fine. On top of that, your marks don't necessarily drop after every grade. I am currently in grade 11 and my marks have been steadily going up since late elementary school. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/1/2017 at 4:49 PM, Lord of the Pickles said:

Assuming you're from Ontario, grade 10 pre-IB is nearly identical to academic grade 10 with the exception of having to do grade 11 math. In other words, it's not hard, especially considering that you currently have good grades. As long as you're able to stay disciplined, you will be 100% fine. On top of that, your marks don't necessarily drop after every grade. I am currently in grade 11 and my marks have been steadily going up since late elementary school. 

I personally disagree. Grade 10 was actually more difficult than grade 9 and is definitely not identical to the academic curriculum. Although it wasn't too difficult in the end (everyone ended up with marks similar to their gr9 marks), most people struggled a BIT at first (nothing too bad but many of our class averages were lower eg. math avg at midterm was 76). This forced everyone to work harder since they slacked off in grade 9 when the curriculum was easier. 

To be honest, Grade 10 was sort of a wake up call and a warning for what was about to come, but it wasn't overly challenging so don't worry. With marks like those, as long as you continue to work hard FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR (i can't stress this enough; make sure you start studying well as soon as school starts), you'll be fine! Anything above 90 is very impressive in Pre-IB courses. Good luck :))