IA solubility of CO2

ibnewB

For my chem IA, I am looking at determining solubility of CO2 at different temperatures, specifically in soft drinks. My method is basically placing a soft drink in cold and very cold water and measuring mass loss over a period of time once the can is opened. The mass loss will be the CO2 gas leaving the system, leaving some of the CO2 in the soft drink, reacting with water to form carbonic acid.

Would this option be a viable option? I have a lot of theory behind it, such as energetics, equilibrium, le chat., and acid bases. 

Also, would it be good to use a literature value of the actual amount of CO2 put into these drinks, or an experimental value, as a comparison to find percentage of CO2 that has left the system?

It's probably viable (not too sure about acid and bases though, seeing as you're mostly looking at what affects equilibrium here), although you should try to keep the temperature constant for each can over the period of time, which may pose a challenge (ice baths can be fiddly, especially as the ice melts). You should also consider if the concentration of CO2 in each can of soft drink is constant.  If you do a good discussion and analysis of data, you should be OK.  Literature value is a good idea, especially as a comparison with experimental data, and forms a good basis for the discussion section.  

Edited by SC2Player
  • Like 1

The system is not in equilibrium as you open the can. Rather, if your measurement method works, you are measuring only the rate of CO2 leaving the solution, rather than any means of solubility. This is all because solubility means equilibrium. To measure solubility, you would have to take some sort of titration of the system in equilibrium. 

• Like 2