CHOOSING IB SUBJECTS (i'm desperate guys, anyone help out?)

Alexa Hawk

Hey kind people, who are reading this) So, I'm starting my ib diploma next year, and choosig subjects is already hell. I really wanted to persuade my future career in psychology, and my first choice was HL:Engl B, History and Bio and Sl: Math, Physics and russian A. This combination seemed pretty easy for me. However, it can never be easy, when it's IB, so when I tested university requirments for psychology at the UK, it was HIGHLY recommended to take 2 sciences or science and math on HL... I wouldn't say that I completely suck at math (i'm not smart at it either), but I'm getting eventually bored of of it, and probably just couldn't handle the HL. So it leaves me with 2 sciences. Chem is the first one to pass, since it really is the worst (i know psychology = chemistry, but please, no) So, physics is left and I'm definetly enjoying it more then chem (i'm from physics& math school originally), but not a genius and what kind of weirdo psychologist even needs physics anyway? +, as I said I'm sooo into humanities. Afraid, that I'll get lower points with 2 sciences, than with my original choice and isn't that worse? Cause, UK is not even my first choice, USA is, and there IBDP for psychology is not even required at all. Shoud I go for Bio, Math/Physics  and Engl HL or leave it, as it was. + question, is Math really harder then physics HL? or vica versa . Personal experience, pleaseee

Edited by Alexa Hawk

Hmm, I would say that Math HL is probably the harder one. Of course, I do not take physics HL, although I have heard of how hard that was as well. I strongly advise you not to force yourself to do something you do not want to do, let alone at HL. You seem to like physics, so that could be a possible HL for you, but if you feel in your heart that you will not enjoy math, then don't do it at HL.

I see what you mean when you say that physics might be weird for your specific major. but if you really love it, then I think you should do it. 

Are there any other sciences that your school offers? I suppose that you could take bio and physics HL but I am just curious to see what other options there are if any.

I realize that this post was really jumbled and probably was not very helpful, so sorry about that. If you have any more questions I can try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Never heard of psychology requiring math HL -  even Cambridge doesn't ask for math HL specifically on it's website (only some colleges), and if Cambridge doesn't, then I sincerely doubt other places do.  Nor do you need any sciences specifically - just do whichever one you feel you can do best in, at whatever level (SL is probably fine for most places).  So to sum it up, then I'd suggest that you just choose whatever courses you think you can do well in, and sign up for them.  Psychology would probably look more at overall scores than individual subjects honestly.   I am surprised you aren't considering IB psychology though - maybe consider this?  The subject isn't too difficult - it does have a fair bit of memorization and essays though.  

Thank you all for your answers, they really have been helpful👐 About subject choices, there is really not a lot to choose from. I don't have psychology at all, also no social antropology or whatever. Got bio, chem and physics for sciences, but I guess that's what most of the schools does