Some questions about the Extended Essay...HELP PLEASE!

nicolech00

Hi! I have some questions about the EE.

I am doing my EE in Spanish A Literature HL. I already have the books I want to analyze, my question and my supervisor accepted it. I want to analyze the use of setting of two different books. This is the research title nd the research question I want to work on:

Research Title: Una exploración, comparación y análisis de los espacios diegéticos en dos novelas, Pedro Páramo y Cien años de soledad

Research Question: ¿Hasta qué punto los espacios diegéticos pueden considerarse personajes en las novelas Pedro Páramo y Cien años de soledad?

Now, the questions...

1. Do the quotes count as words in the 4,000 words?
  2. How many paragraphs (approximately) does a 4,000 word essay look like?
  3. Do I need to add reference for a Language EE?

1, Everything, except for abstract, bibliography, and appendixes will count towards the 4000 word limit

2, There will be many, many, many, many paragraphs. There is no standard format, especially for something as fluid as literature, so write it as you see fit.

3, References are needed for any claims that you did not arrive at based on your own individual thinking alone. They are quite important to give credibility to your paper, although literature papers usually feature the least amount of references, as it is based mainly on personal analysis.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jaysun said:

1, Everything, except for abstract, bibliography, and appendixes will count towards the 4000 word limit

2, There will be many, many, many, many paragraphs. There is no standard format, especially for something as fluid as literature, so write it as you see fit.

3, References are needed for any claims that you did not arrive at based on your own individual thinking alone. They are quite important to give credibility to your paper, although literature papers usually feature the least amount of references, as it is based mainly on personal analysis.

Thanks a lot, this is really useful!! Another question... In a Literature EE, what should we put in the appendix? I know that in works for sciences or psychology you can put all your raw data there, but in literature, what should the appendix contain?

Personally, I have never seen a literature EE with an appendix. I guess if you interviewed someone for their view on something, or made reference to like a poem or something short in your essay you can have one, but again, I don't think appendixes and literature EEs go together.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jaysun said:

Personally, I have never seen a literature EE with an appendix. I guess if you interviewed someone for their view on something, or made reference to like a poem or something short in your essay you can have one, but again, I don't think appendixes and literature EEs go together.

Oh so I guess it is ok if I just don't have an appendix or reference, because I was trying to look for previous essays or analytical texts from other people about my research question (or at least something similar) but I have not found aaaanything. It seems like no one has ever done any study on the type of question that I have. About that... do you think this is bad? Is it going to make me have a hard time? hahahaha because well, it is a topic that no one has really explored in great detail. My teacher approved the question because she said she trusted me and that I would do a great job but now I don't know. I guess it's fine tho... I am now doing my plan so that I can start my first draft :) I want to finish it before my first year of IB finishes

Since it's literature, that's probably ok. Practically every other subject needs plenty of sources, while literature is almost 100% of your own thinking. As long as you are able to draw convincing evidence from your work to support you claims, it would be ok, although having academic papers to back up certain claims is certainly nice and useful.

If you truly have that unique of a RQ, then it'll draw interest for sure, and you'll get the points for holistic judgement. Good luck!

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Jaysun said:

Since it's literature, that's probably ok. Practically every other subject needs plenty of sources, while literature is almost 100% of your own thinking. As long as you are able to draw convincing evidence from your work to support you claims, it would be ok, although having academic papers to back up certain claims is certainly nice and useful.

If you truly have that unique of a RQ, then it'll draw interest for sure, and you'll get the points for holistic judgement. Good luck!

Thanks a lot!! This was very useful!