Biology SL - Exams in May

6tk

Hi guys,

so basically I am going to take exams in May, but I am worried about Biology. Even though it is just SL, I still cannot find myself to like it whatsoever - I tried to watch videos online, visit webpages like BioNinja, where it is pretty simple, but I always found it too boring and either fell asleep or studied a different subject. I have English A HL LL, Czech A Literature and Geography HL. These are quite simple and I do not have to study for them much. Math Studies I basically revise, do past papers and use the questionbank. German B is also okay, and I find if fun actually. I somehow found myself to like all of these subjects, but Biology... I just hate it so much.

Any tips? How did you study for the Bio exams? Please help :D Thank you!

Biology was not my favourite subject, but I had a huge interest in it because I love how this subject is related to human and life so much. 

What I did for IB Bio: Revise concepts,  past papers (Very important) and making my own set of notes prior to exam. I am not sure why you took Bio even if you have low interest, but to boost interest, I will highly recommend you to understand the concepts before going for IB, you may find the fun in it. 

Good luck for your IB and if you need help for Bio revision strategies or any question about IB, quote or message me. I will be happy to answer. 

-Inriya 

Edited by inriya
  • Like 1

Well obviously, I was forced to take Bio. What esle was I supposed to take? Physics when I am studies? Or Chemistry that's harder than Bio and Physics combined? Lol... I actually wanted to take the easiest subject, the ESS , but my school is too small and they did not open it for me... So I was stuck with Bio...

I am really into fitness and stuff, so I like The Molecular Biology quite a bit, but that is it. The rest is just useless crap I will never use in my life 

4 hours ago, 6tk said:

Well obviously, I was forced to take Bio. What esle was I supposed to take? Physics when I am studies? Or Chemistry that's harder than Bio and Physics combined? Lol... I actually wanted to take the easiest subject, the ESS , but my school is too small and they did not open it for me... So I was stuck with Bio...

I am really into fitness and stuff, so I like The Molecular Biology quite a bit, but that is it. The rest is just useless crap I will never use in my life 

There is your issue. You pointed it out yourself.

Most of us have to take subjects, SL or HL, because either a) our school makes us do it, b) IB makes us do it, or c) the university course requires it. We all find some aspects of a subject absolutely boring and can't seem to find anything exciting about it, but the difference between those who score a 7 and those who score a 4 is quite often how the individual deals with such a situation. In Biology we did ecology recently (which you're probably familiar with, as it's SL) and I absolutely hated it! Sure, it was quite simple, but the thought of memorising all these things just made me frown and yawn - it was something I didn't want to spend my time on.

But I sat down, and simply did it. Turned my phone off, plugged my PC off so I wouldn't be tempted, and went through my notes and the book to learn the content. Just because I might be 95% certain I won't use it in the future wasn't a good enough excuse not to study - and it shouldn't be for you either. Sometimes you have to do things for your overall good, in this case it's a good grade on your diploma.

There isn't a secret way not to study things and get a 7 or a 6. Everyone who scores these grades works their butt off no matter how interested they might be in certain aspects of the syllabus, or the entire subject. I am a very scientific person and my interest in geography is close to 0 - if it wasn't part of the IBDP I'd never take it again after Year 11. Yet here I am, after 4 hours of making notes for the option and core units for this subject, writing this post. If it's not the interest that motivates you, let it be the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment once you finish your diploma and score a 6 or a 7 in biology.

tl;dr Your mentality needs to change if you want your grade to improve. Just because you don't like something shouldn't be a reason not to study. In the future you'll face similar issues and there might not be a way around them.