Percentage of the grades

Hey guys,

I have got 6 out of 24 from my chemistry internal assessment. I am not surprised, because it was soooo weak. I wonder what percentage of the points are taken for the final grade. Is there any one who can answer my question?

The IA in Chemistry is worth 20% of your overall grade. That means your IA,  which is a 6/24, will contribute (6/24) x 20% = 5% to your overall grade, out of 100%. 

The other 80% of your overall grade comes from your external exams (20% Paper 1, 40% Paper 2, and 20% Paper 3 for SL; 20% Paper 1, 36% Paper 2, and 24% Paper 3 for HL). 

If you're aiming for a 7, it is still possible with only a 6/24 in your IA, but that means you're going to need to attain about 92% on your final exams, bringing up your overall score to about 78%. (Calculation: 92% x 80% = 0.73 = 73%.    73% + 5% = 78%) And the same goes on to attain grades of 4, 5, or 6 – essentially you're going to need to perform much much better on your exams to make up for your IA. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IB`ez said:

The IA in Chemistry is worth 20% of your overall grade. That means your IA,  which is a 6/24, will contribute (6/24) x 20% = 5% to your overall grade, out of 100%. 

The other 80% of your overall grade comes from your external exams (20% Paper 1, 40% Paper 2, and 20% Paper 3 for SL; 20% Paper 1, 36% Paper 2, and 24% Paper 3 for HL). 

If you're aiming for a 7, it is still possible with only a 6/24 in your IA, but that means you're going to need to attain about 92% on your final exams, bringing up your overall score to about 78%. (Calculation: 92% x 80% = 0.73 = 73%.    73% + 5% = 78%) And the same goes on to attain grades of 4, 5, or 6 – essentially you're going to need to perform much much better on your exams to make up for your IA. 

Thank you so much :)