Need your opinion

IJustWanaPass

Yes, I'm writing about an IA topic for the 5th time. This time I have got something out of my syllabus, essentially it is an experiment about heat diffusion. I will conduct a simple experiment on heat diffusion and collect some values, then use the Fourier transformation series to calculate the final result. Then I will compare the experimental and theoretical data. The 2nd idea I had was to make another experiment but this time use the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation. I'm in math HL and we haven't studied integrals or derivatives. 

What do you think? Am I insane? Is this a good idea? Will I get a high mark?

Bit ambitious if havent even started calculus. I would recommend that if you learn calculus before you hand in the IA that you also look at differential equations. Collecting data is interesting but not necessary for IA. That is more useful in an EE

• Like 2

Originally I wanted it to be pure theory where I will derive the transformation and use it to solve some problems on heat equations. But my teacher said it will be boring and It will be more interesting if I make an experiment and collect the results for comparison. Should I do the original idea or what my teacher recommended. The first one I can explain well but the second one will be hard to find an experiment for that specific formula.

You can manipulate certain variables in the formula and do an experiment based off that, but I'm not too sure how useful an experiment would actually be.  Maybe it adds to personal engagement?  Main thing is to focus on the actual math - remember that this is a math IA, not a physics one.