Difference between English A: Language and Literature and English A: Literature

ali.asif

Hey guys! First time here on ibsurvival, hope all of you are doing well :)

It's time for me to chose my subjects for IBDP, so I was going through the choices and I stumbled upon English A: Language and English A: Language and Literature. I was just wondering the difference between the two of them, the advantages and disadvantages, and the features of HL and SL in both Language, and Language + Literature respectively!

Thank you in advance!

ali.asif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

So I had a similar concern too. What my teachers told me was that English A language focuses more on comprehension and puts a heavier emphasis on how you are structuring things grammatically. If you are a person who hates paying too much attention to grammar, I would say stay away from this class. If you ever had a second language class, this class is structured kind of like that. 

English A lang and lit on the other hand focuses heavily on the interpretation of texts. You will be doing loads of commentaries on poems and books. This course is all about analyzing literature and appreciating the author's choices. If you like thinking creatively this is the course to take. If you hate reading between the lines, this course is not for you.

I chose to take lang and lit because as a person I hated paying too much attention to grammar and enjoyed the freedom lang and lit provided.

Best of Luck with your choices !!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, revumol7 said:

Hey!

So I had a similar concern too. What my teachers told me was that English A language focuses more on comprehension and puts a heavier emphasis on how you are structuring things grammatically. If you are a person who hates paying too much attention to grammar, I would say stay away from this class. If you ever had a second language class, this class is structured kind of like that. 

English A lang and lit on the other hand focuses heavily on the interpretation of texts. You will be doing loads of commentaries on poems and books. This course is all about analyzing literature and appreciating the author's choices. If you like thinking creatively this is the course to take. If you hate reading between the lines, this course is not for you.

I chose to take lang and lit because as a person I hated paying too much attention to grammar and enjoyed the freedom lang and lit provided.

Best of Luck with your choices !!

Thanks for the help! 

Gave in my options yesterday, and ended up choosing some interesting subjects for next year;

Physics HL

English L+L HL

Math HL

History HL

Business Management SL

Spanish Ab Initio SL

Really appreciate the help!

• 3 weeks later...
On 20 April 2017 at 9:23 AM, ali.asif said:

Thanks for the help! 

Gave in my options yesterday, and ended up choosing some interesting subjects for next year;

Physics HL

English L+L HL

Math HL

History HL

Business Management SL

Spanish Ab Initio SL

Really appreciate the help!

I would advise you to drop either history or math in the future, seeing as once you will start the IB you will realise that it is a lot of work. However if you want to pursue a career in engineering I would advise you to drop history in the future. Test out the waters but usually the subject combination of math and history higher level is not a great one...

Hope this helps and good luck in the IB :)

• Like 2

I have a related question... how do I know which class I'm taking? It sounds more like Lang + Lit, but my school has a tiny IB program and only one English A option is offered, which every IB student takes. I know that it's HL and that we do a lot of commentaries about poems and passages and that my teacher is always telling us to memorize our literary techniques (which I can't do to save my life). 

1 hour ago, erika__ said:

I have a related question... how do I know which class I'm taking? It sounds more like Lang + Lit, but my school has a tiny IB program and only one English A option is offered, which every IB student takes. I know that it's HL and that we do a lot of commentaries about poems and passages and that my teacher is always telling us to memorize our literary techniques (which I can't do to save my life). 

I didn't know what @revumol7 was referring to by "English A: Language", because all group 1 courses assumes proficiency in the language and grammar is not a focus in any course. Literature exclusively discusses literary texts, but Language and literature also talk about media and cultural context. @erika__ if you are unsure, just ask your teacher. It's probably Literature HL if you have not heard of "FOA" or "mass communication". There is one other group 1 course called Literature and Performance but there are clear theatre elements in classes so it's probably not that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shellziess said:

I would advise you to drop either history or math in the future, seeing as once you will start the IB you will realise that it is a lot of work. However if you want to pursue a career in engineering I would advise you to drop history in the future. Test out the waters but usually the subject combination of math and history higher level is not a great one...

Hope this helps and good luck in the IB :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm still in between the options of automobile engineering, politics or journalism, and unfortunately, there is no middle ground for all three! Anyway, thanks again for the valuable advice, really appreciate it!

• Like 1