ali.asif

Difference between English A: Language and Literature and English A: Literature

Hey guys! First time here on ibsurvival, hope all of you are doing well :)

It's time for me to chose my subjects for IBDP, so I was going through the choices and I stumbled upon English A: Language and English A: Language and Literature. I was just wondering the difference between the two of them, the advantages and disadvantages, and the features of HL and SL in both Language, and Language + Literature respectively!

Thank you in advance!

ali.asif

Hey!

So I had a similar concern too. What my teachers told me was that English A language focuses more on comprehension and puts a heavier emphasis on how you are structuring things grammatically. If you are a person who hates paying too much attention to grammar, I would say stay away from this class. If you ever had a second language class, this class is structured kind of like that. 

English A lang and lit on the other hand focuses heavily on the interpretation of texts. You will be doing loads of commentaries on poems and books. This course is all about analyzing literature and appreciating the author's choices. If you like thinking creatively this is the course to take. If you hate reading between the lines, this course is not for you.

I chose to take lang and lit because as a person I hated paying too much attention to grammar and enjoyed the freedom lang and lit provided.

Best of Luck with your choices !!

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, revumol7 said:

Hey!

So I had a similar concern too. What my teachers told me was that English A language focuses more on comprehension and puts a heavier emphasis on how you are structuring things grammatically. If you are a person who hates paying too much attention to grammar, I would say stay away from this class. If you ever had a second language class, this class is structured kind of like that. 

English A lang and lit on the other hand focuses heavily on the interpretation of texts. You will be doing loads of commentaries on poems and books. This course is all about analyzing literature and appreciating the author's choices. If you like thinking creatively this is the course to take. If you hate reading between the lines, this course is not for you.

I chose to take lang and lit because as a person I hated paying too much attention to grammar and enjoyed the freedom lang and lit provided.

Best of Luck with your choices !!

Thanks for the help! 

Gave in my options yesterday, and ended up choosing some interesting subjects for next year;

Physics HL

English L+L HL

Math HL

History HL

Business Management SL

Spanish Ab Initio SL

Really appreciate the help!