Past papers or question banks?

IBintense

Hi there! 

I had a question on how I should prepare for my Math SL exam which is on May 5th. I was planning on completing all question banks for each unit, going over lessons and textbook questions. Do you think that is enough? I understand a lot of people do past papers however, if I complete all the questions in the questionbank, isn't that basically the same thing because those are past questions as well? Or is there a big difference between doing past papers and question banks? 

Please let me know! Thank you :) 

I would say that doing a paper stimulates the testing environment, so that is more useful. That does not mean, however, that you can't use questions from a question bank. You can do that, however I suggest that at least once you take a full practice test along with those questions for your individually-needed topics.

At this point, Maths SL Questionbank questions no longer match the recent questions in terms of difficulty. I would advise sticking to Past papers from now down 'till May 2013, or even better, doing some Maths HL Section A questions on topics that overlap with the SL syllabus. Alternatively, which is what I'm doing currently, you can focus on specific weaknesses from the syllabus and solidify your skill in that area – Questionbank will be ideal in this scenario. 

Stick to past paper. 

Why? It tests your speed and also the format of an exam than questionbank. 

And also, on Questionbank you may be tempted to press on the answer, than a past paper that you have to download, find the question, look at it.  

(I answer this by experience when I got a straight 7 in Math SL without Questionbank but only past papers from 2006-2015 May and Nov papers:nicole:.)

Edited by inriya