I'm writing an extended essay on a literary device that Atwood uses in The Handmaid's Tale and The Penelopiad in reference to the latter. There are no outside sources on this device and I have heard or seen no mention of it anywhere after consulting the internet, IB staff at my school, and my (well-read and sharp) English teacher. I'm not going to say the device on here because it would take a lot of explaining and it would dilute the focus of my question --

Because I am writing a literature extended essay on an original idea and its application in one novel without relying on external literary criticism or sources (since there are none), would I be fine with just citing the book and three to four literary device sites (not for the term I'm studying, but for supplementary definitions)? 

So you know I'm not going to screw up because of the device itself, I should mention that my English teacher thinks my idea valid. I clearly define my interpretation of this literary phenomenon in the introduction and analyze its purpose throughout the essay. You can message me privately if you want to know what it is, but I didn't want it to detract from the focus of the question.

Thanks.