When is a math protfolio a good one?

Alfabeta

My Type I was 17 pages long and my Type II was 14 pages long. I got 20 in both, but as long as you get a 17 you're at a borderline 7. As far as I know, most of the places where my friends were marked down was in using the correct mathematical terms and in explaining the limitations to their conjectures. Most of my friends managed to reach a correct general statement and explained their method correctly, but since they didn't explain the limitations to their general statement (e.g. only works for positive numbers, or something along those lines, obviously with further explanation) they were marked down.

Edited by Redstar

I remember my teacher said last time that a good portfolio should be only 20 pages and not more than that. It means that the teacher want to see how well we organize our data by using limited space. They want to see use appropriate method like table, graph and so forth.

But most of the student in my college exceed the 20 pages. And we still do not know the mark yet...

And we haven't started with the Type II. Well some of you are too fast.

It actually depends, because some of the projects, I jsut couldnt make any shorter, since my validation was the most important thing, I had to make it fully detailed, and I still got 3 18s.

I guess we are yes, LOL. But it will be done, I'm sure. :blush:

My Type I was 17 pages long and my Type II was 14 pages long. I got 20 in both, but as long as you get a 17 you're at a borderline 7. As far as I know, most of the places where my friends were marked down was in using the correct mathematical terms and in explaining the limitations to their conjectures. Most of my friends managed to reach a correct general statement and explained their method correctly, but since they didn't explain the limitations to their general statement (e.g. only works for positive numbers, or something along those lines, obviously with further explanation) they were marked down.

That's really good, but be careful, i had someone in my school who got 2 20s and 2 19s, and they were marked down three marks on each, and the teachers still can't see a reason why the IBO did that. I got 3 18s, and the math departement is afraid I'm going to be marked down.

It is excellent, but watch out. :ftw:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

heyy i'm new at this too! ahh :ashika:

so i created all of the graphs on excel and they all show an upward curving graph

i dont want to sound stupid (though I might) but does anyone know what kind of graph this is or how it's possible to model it?

it's killing me! i would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for your help, you have noo idea!

heyy i'm new at this too! ahh :ashika:

so i created all of the graphs on excel and they all show an upward curving graph

i dont want to sound stupid (though I might) but does anyone know what kind of graph this is or how it's possible to model it?

it's killing me! i would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for your help, you have noo idea!

Quadratic? It'd be helpful if you could show us a pic... lots of graphs curve upwards.

Quadratic? It'd be helpful if you could show us a pic... lots of graphs curve upwards.

no worries i got the answer from my friend, she's smarter than me in math.

it's exponential...she said something like exponential to the 2nd degree??

whatever that means haha

thanks so much for answering though :ashika:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If it's short you haven't repeated yourself and pointlessly explained things enough, in my opinion. That seems to be where the marks are!

VictimofIB, you should check out the board. There should actually be a thread for that portfolio, or if you really can't find one, perhaps make a new one? :P Usually other people have done it and started discussions already where you can find tips and other people's thoughts on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Recieving a 17 on your math portfolio is a very good result.

I am working on my math portfolio type 1 currently and I think what matters the most is the useful work and make sure that the audience (in this case, the grader) will understand what you are doing, hence you should understand what you are doing inside and out.

Here are some things I found on the Intenet which you might find useful.

1. Elements of a successful IB Internal Assessment.

Basic elements of a good Math Studies Project or Math SL/HL Portfolio piece:

· Correct answers throughout.

· All questions answered in a logical order.

· Audience is the teacher.

· Identify and address the principal goal of the assignment.

· Written explanations of difficult or lessobvious

steps in work.

· Wordprocessed

including use of technology for graphs and equations.

Elements of superior work:

· Attention to detail.

Ø Consistent significant figures or decimal place rounding.

Ø Use of proper notation such as “ »” for approximations.

Ø Avoid calculator notation such as 4*5, x^2, or 2.3E4.

Ø Graphs are clear with logical scales and labeled axes.

· Work stands alone.

Ø Audience is another student of the same level.

Ø Reader doesn’t have to refer to the assignment sheet.

Ø Reads smoothly and effortlessly.

Ø Answers are not numbered unless required.

· Single wordprocessed

document

Ø Integrate an equation writing program, spreadsheets, graphing program, etc.

Ø Comment on everything included.

Ø Explain steps each time a new mathematical process is used.

Ø Avoid repetition of processes already explained.

Ø Graphs, charts, etc. appear on the same page where they are explained.

· Student goes beyond the assignment with insight and sophistication.

Ø Identify and address the hidden goals of the assignment.

Ø Try to get into the mind of the writer of the assignment.

Ø Most good assignments leave some space for the top students to explore.

· Student uses a variety of mathematical approaches.

Ø A good assignment will require the use of many kinds of math.

Ø A good question will often have several possible approaches for the solution.

· All math used is relevant to the task.

Ø No fluff or spacefillers.

2. Tips to the students.

· Work through all problems with pencil and calculator before writing it up.

Ø Gives an overall feel for the project so that that student can start to address the main goal,

and even insights, right from the start.

· Write a brief introduction rather than jumping right in to the first question.

Ø Sets a tone of readability.

· Math SL/HL students can pretend that they are writing a chapter in a textbook.

Ø Encourages students to fully explain each step, remembering that their audience is another

student from their course of average ability.

Ø Students can have fun with creative formatting.

Ø Take pride in the look and feel of their work.

· Math Studies students can approach the IA Project as they would a science lab.

Ø Write a hypothesis.

Ø Collect data.

Ø Analyze data.

Ø Draw conclusions.

Ø Discuss possible errors or improvements.

• Like 2

I got 17 on one of my portfolios and it was 8 pages (9 including the title page); it is content that really matters. Just try to include graphs in any portfolio and you should be alright, if you explain every step that you do

a good graphing technology is Autograph, just download the free trial ^_^

Your teachers grade your work, but then some of the portfolios are then sent forward to the moderators. If the moderators disagree with the way your teachers have marked, they alter all the grades in accordance. So say somebody's work had been given a 17 (usually just a 7), but the moderator disagreed and marked it down to a 15 (usually a 6), EVERYBODY'S work would go down by two marks. So really, the teacher does the hard work in giving the initial marks (and setting, therefore, the relative marks between the class), and then the moderator decides on your final grade when they look over your teacher's marking and move it up, down or keep it the same.

• Like 1

Hey i was wondering and asking, does the teacher give you hoe much you get in the portfolios ?! no right ? our math techer tells us no

Sandwich above is right. ^^

Some teachers give you their scores [the unmoderated ones], while others don't. Who knows why? Maybe they don't want hate mail from students or something? My teacher gave us the IB rubric that she graded from with how many points we got from each category and such. It was nice. But I know my Spanish and English teachers strictly refused to give us scores. They said it wasn't allowed. Whatever.

hmm,

well my Type I was 24 pages long and i got a 19/20 for it, a girl in my class did get 20/20 but the teacher purposely put her down as a 19 because of the fact that, it is possible for the marks to be scaled down.

currently doing a Type II! hope i do well on it, need to pull up my 12 :P

p.s - the HL kids assignments for math we're around 40+ pages, it was something to do with an elevator of some sort.

• 1 month later...