IB exams may 2017

Efi

Well, I am taking the IB exams in 5 days and I haven't done much studying. I have only covered my maths option and briefly all biology. Both of these subjects are HL. However, do you think it is doable to study maths HL and bio HL in 5 days? If yes, can you please suggest some ways?? I'm in desperate need of some advice.!!!

If you've already covered all Biology topics, even briefly. then at this point there's not much more to do. A holistic review of all the topics is better than in-depth understanding of only a few topics, and you've accomplished the former already – all you can do left is just quickly review as broadly the topics as you can, particularly the SL chapters which are the most heavily weighted, before Monday. Past papers don't really work for Biology so much as comprehensive review, so your time is better spent making summary sheets of topics you're weak in etc.

As for Maths HL, you have two options. If you're struggling in one or two topics but fairly capable in the rest,  then just hammer away at Past Paper questions on those topics. However, at this point you should already have an adequate understanding o all the topics – it's recommended you just drill past papers now, ideally 3-4 full Papers each day (with a balanced mix of Paper 1s and Paper 2s, with the odd Paper 3) and learn as much as you can from your mistakes. 

I don't know your skill level in those subjects, nor the grades you're aiming to get, but these review strategies will work very well regardless of those factors. I would suggest spending more time at Maths HL than Biology, again because it seems you already have the necessary breadth, if not the depth, which is adequate for a 5 – maybe a 6 or a 7 if the topics that come out are your best ones and your IA is good – and there's not much you can do about that with only 5 days remaining. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 2

I'd just also like to add that math HL revolves more around your ability in math compared to the amount that you've memorized, so doing past papers and/or extra problems will also provide opportunity to practice your math skills, and hence improve your overall mathematical ability.  It'll also help with getting into the 'mood' of doing math.  Don't worry about memorizing every last theorem or the methods of applying them - it's pretty much impossible to cover every last possibility, so you should also be prepared for a few odd-looking questions.  

• Like 2