Maths Hl plans for 2 years

Chirag

Hello everyone,

I am about to begin my IB in about 3 months time and i have few queries. First of all i have heard many people say 'omg its really hard' is maths hl really rocket science? Secondly, how many chapters do schools tend to teach in the first year of Ib. Some people say its 5 others say 6. How many topics are thought in the first year. Lastly, how are we assed in Hl maths. is it just through tests or many other things as well? Please someone clear my queries. It will be appreciated. I am really worried about Hl maths. 

Ps. Dont worry guys my exams are in May 2019

Edited by Chirag

As I, and quite a few other people, often say in response to the difficulty of a given subject, difficulty is ultimately quite subjective.  Some people find HL math quite difficult indeed, while others find it quite easy.  If you've done a fair bit of math before, then you're probably set for HL, especially if you've already done a bit of calculus/complex numbers/advanced trig.  

In HL math, you have a set of final exams, which determines 80% of your marks, and what is known as an IA, which determines 20%.  The final exams cover the entire syllabus, which consists of the core + 1 option.  The core is the main part of the course.  The options form a supplementary (but still compulsory) part.  You can currently choose from: Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Statistics and Probability, and Sets, Relations and Groups.  The IA is effectively an exploration undertaken by you, where you choose a topic of your own related to maths and explore it.  

Take a look at the official math HL syllabus (Google it) and see what you know.  Don't fret if you don't know much though - this is what you'll be learning in two years, not what you're supposed to already know.  if you already know just a couple of things, that puts you in good stead already.  

• Like 1

Cheers buddy, much appreciated response. However, you still havent answered my question about how many topics are covered in ib1. I have already started studying the first topic (algebra). Please tell how many topics are covered so i can set a goal how much i can study in 3 months i have before my Ib begins

Edited by Chirag

Thank you, my last question is why is there so much fuss about the exams questions. Some people complain exam questions come out of syllabus and its too hard. Is this really true?. If so can you please explain what kind of questions come in exams. 

Difficulty is subjective - some people may find the questions harder than others, depending on mathematical ability.  If you've been doing well in math up until now there isn't much to stress about.  What you do need to get used to is exam questions set underneath stricter time conditions - you have to do quite a lot of problems, both fast and accurately, and this is one thing that often trips people up.  

• Like 1