so im in 11th grade right now, and currently i take

HL Chem - 3

HL bio - 3

Hl psychology - 6

Sl Math - 3

Spanish abinitio - 5

TOK - 3

SL English lang/lit - 4

I know these are pretty bad grades and i am wondering if i will be able to pass the ib diploma programme. Should i be worried about the threes? I feel like the grades wont get any better. Anyone know what I should do?

No one can judge how badly you are doing as we don't know how much effort and time you put into the work and studying, but I can tell you that a pass in IB is overall 24 points. You're only in 11th grade so there's time to improve as long as you do what you can, start putting more time into the studies and possibly getting a tutor. It also depends on what you would like to do after you finish school because from the subjects you're taking right now, it looks like something medical or based around science. If you're expecting to get into university with these scores then... well it's unlikely.

I don't know what the policy is like in your school, but you could think about staying behind a year. It could give you time to improve your grades, go over what you've done this year and possibly even reshuffle your subjects to be a bit easier as two HL sciences isn't easy.

Sorry for the long post, these are just a few ideas and I hope it helps!

8 minutes ago, Gtemp said:

No one can judge how badly you are doing as we don't know how much effort and time you put into the work and studying, but I can tell you that a pass in IB is overall 24 points. You're only in 11th grade so there's time to improve as long as you do what you can, start putting more time into the studies and possibly getting a tutor. It also depends on what you would like to do after you finish school because from the subjects you're taking right now, it looks like something medical or based around science. If you're expecting to get into university with these scores then... well it's unlikely.

I don't know what the policy is like in your school, but you could think about staying behind a year. It could give you time to improve your grades, go over what you've done this year and possibly even reshuffle your subjects to be a bit easier as two HL sciences isn't easy.

Sorry for the long post, these are just a few ideas and I hope it helps!

I plan on putting in more effort and if I get a good grade in 12th grade, will that be fine? Will 11th grade scores be counted?

8 minutes ago, tracesky said:

I plan on putting in more effort and if I get a good grade in 12th grade, will that be fine? Will 11th grade scores be counted?

Well you'll need your predicted grades if you're going to university, so they generally do matter from 11th grade. I'm not sure how your school does it, but at mine, we do exams at the end of the year for all subjects, and then these grades are used as our PG's.

This might sound like a completely unrelated question, but what do your parents and teachers say about your grades?

Edited by Gtemp

Officially you would pass the IB with the grades you have right now - your total score in HL adds up to 12, which is the bare minimum required to pass. Overall you seem to have 27 points including core, which is 3 points above the passing grade. If you want to pursue a medical/science career I definitely would advise putting a lot more effort in ASAP.

• Like 1

My grades were pretty awful in 11th grade, but I managed to turn it around in 12th grade. You have to start studying now as 12th grade is a lot more demanding than 11th grade. I suggest getting a friend or classmate to tutor you in your weak subjects as this significantly improved my grades. 

good luck

Hey @tracesky,

Right now, you technically would pass the IB but I imagine you'd want to still push yourself and do the best you possibly can to achieve even higher grades. What I suggest is going to your teachers in the subjects you are concerned with (Chemistry, Biology, English, Math and TOK) and to ask them for help and feedback on what you can do to improve. In most cases, teachers would be happy to spend some time with you, say, every week or two in order for you to catch up and for them to guide you onto the right path for the course.

You can also do a lot to improve on your own. There are many websites and resources to help you study at home. I really recommend you go and get yourself some Oxford Study Guides (https://osc-ib.com/study-guides). They may be a bit costly but they really do the trick. For my final exams, I've been using them for Math, French and English and they're helping me improve a ton as they take you through the whole course as well as the exam components to prepare yourself and to catch up on any weak points. It's so detailed yet so simple and easy to follow. Please consider getting yourself some :)

Here are some great resources I found. Don't rely solely on these sites though, use them as just part of your revision as well as my previous tips:

https://studynova.com/exam-preparation/ib-math-sl/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez2ssg6fsfa2ps8/IBMathsStandardNotes.pdf?dl=0

http://blog.prepscholar.com/the-best-ib-english-study-guide-and-notes-sl-hl

In short, you'll JUST pass the IB with these grades as the minimum is 24 points, but I really recommend you spend time studying with your teachers or get tutors to help you with your weak subjects, get some online resources to help you and get some Oxford Study Guides. If you do this, I guarantee you'll be improving in most areas and hopefully getting at least 1 or 2 grades higher in each weak subject if you put in time studying and effort in your assignments and exams.

Remember that achieving good grades is not easy and it requires a lot of time and effort. Push yourself and set reasonable goals to motivate you and to have some sort of plan on what you want to achieve.

I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by sodonewithib
  • Like 1