Math Studies Calculus requirement

IBMaster99

Hey, so I been coming to this forum for some time and since I've a question about an IB class and my university, now would be a good to open an account. I'm in IB junior and I'm not taking any math class for this year. Senior year, I'll be taking Math Studies. Now, the university I'm aiming at is the University of Texas at Austin, specifically the engineering school. My given class rank, my admission is automatically admitted, but the engineering school has a calculus readiness requirement. it says, and I quote "IB Mathematics HL or SL Examinations score of 4 or higher" among the requirements. I am wondering if Math studies would count since it's also an SL course

Math SL is NOT Math Studies. Most engineering programs do not recognize or accept Math studies, as it's not considered to be good prep for university.

Do as much research as you can right now. I have a strong suspicion   that university will not take your math credits, no matter your mark in it

4 minutes ago, VeronicaG said:

Math SL is NOT Math Studies. Most engineering programs do not recognize or accept Math studies, as it's not considered to be good prep for university.

Do as much research as you can right now. I have a strong suspicion   that university will not take your math credits, no matter your mark in it

Not only this as @VeronicaG stressed, but also the fact that you will most likely not be able to cope with an engineering degree with Math Studies knowledge. If I were you I'd take Math SL and self-study a bit of HL content i.e. HL Calculus during your school breaks to ensure you have the necessary knowledge to achieve a high mark in your Engineering Degree. 

I doubt Math Studies would count towards the credit. I have a friend who is entering engineering school in the fall and his first semester he takes Calculus I.  I would try to switch to Math SL if at all possible. Otherwise, you will be behind and have to take the necessary classes to catch up and be prepared for Calculus since the curriculum for Math Studies doesn't prepare you for a calculus course. It might be a good idea to call the University to verify! Best of luck! :) 

Mathematics studies is not at all a good prep for college. Especially if you want to do an engineering course. Sometimes even Math SL is not enough to be ready for to take on an engineering course. Math studies would not count as an SL course and I don't think any engineering colleges would take students with Math studies. Math studies is basically for those students whose future courses have nothing to do with math. But if you want to do a math heavy course like engineering, it is not recommended to take math studies. I suggest you should at least take math Sl as it will give a good enough idea about differential and integral calculus.