Hi guys,

I am in the process of selecting a topic for my extended essay. 

A bit of background of my school: 

I study in Denmark, and my school has a moderately equipped lab. So, I will be able to carry out most of the experiments necessary. I could however, potentially, use a virtual lab. 

So far, I'm interested in doing my extended essay in Biology (I do HL Biology). And I'm aware that I must come up with a research of my own interest. At first, I thought I should just do another plant-based research or something to do with ecology. But, now that I think of it, there are other areas that might be of interest. For example, cell membranes, DNA replication (though that'd be a tough one), or enzymes? 

Do you think it'll be interesting to do an EE on cell membranes/enzymes? Will the investigation be 4000 word long? Or should I just stick to the doing either plant/ecology based research?

I'm aware that I didn't give you a specific investigation I want to perform, but that's because I don't know that quite yet.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

*Edit: I just had an idea; investigating on cell membrane permeability (with temperature/different substances)? What do you guys think?

Edited by Talha

On 4/27/2017 at 4:27 PM, Talha said:

Hi guys,

I am in the process of selecting a topic for my extended essay. 

A bit of background of my school: 

I study in Denmark, and my school has a moderately equipped lab. So, I will be able to carry out most of the experiments necessary. I could however, potentially, use a virtual lab. 

So far, I'm interested in doing my extended essay in Biology (I do HL Biology). And I'm aware that I must come up with a research of my own interest. At first, I thought I should just do another plant-based research or something to do with ecology. But, now that I think of it, there are other areas that might be of interest. For example, cell membranes, DNA replication (though that'd be a tough one), or enzymes? 

Do you think it'll be interesting to do an EE on cell membranes/enzymes? Will the investigation be 4000 word long? Or should I just stick to the doing either plant/ecology based research?

I'm aware that I didn't give you a specific investigation I want to perform, but that's because I don't know that quite yet.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

*Edit: I just had an idea; investigating on cell membrane permeability (with temperature/different substances)? What do you guys think?

You have to be very realistic. You must be able to actually conduct the experiment you want to do in your EE with what you have. So if you think that an EE RQ on cell membranes is doable under the amount of time you have then do it, the same goes for plant ecology. If you are interested in what you are doing then I don't see the problem. But first, the extended essay 2018 guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y_TVoVMKT8MjVhc3NTUWxhSFk/view read the writing process of the guide and the subject specific part as well as Biology subject specific guidance. Something I noticed that helps a lot is that if you find 2 separate researchers with conflicting claims for a certain idea or non similar results for an experiment, it would be very helpful to hone in on that and try to present results which might prove one (i.e researcher X says plants germinate slower under colder conditions, but researcher Y says the lateral; or researcher A says decaying organic matter is a more efficient source for fertilization of soil whilst researcher B says conventional fertilizer is much more effective than alternatives, etc.) This is just an idea and do not take what I've said literally as something else might work better for you. My advice to you would be to follow what the guide says and make sure to maintain focus on your research question during your extended essay.

edit: Just a quick tip: if your supervisor is experienced, actually digest the words they say and maintain good communication with him / her by giving them your RQ ideas and so forth. Best of luck!

Edited by Kai_Harry