Cutting Down the Words - Read first post before asking about word count!

Hei even though the EE has a word limit, i don't think so writing an over words for the essay is not loss the marks.

If I get what you're trying to say, that's not true at all. The EE has a word limit for a reason and you must stick to it. The IB doesn't want to read 10,000 word ramblings. It wants you to write a concise, analytic essay.You lose points for going over the word limit because you didn't follow the formatting instructions. It's a very simple concept and I don't know why people think that they can ignore it and still get a really high score. In addition, any content over the 4000 words doesn't have to be read, so if you put your entire conclusion past the 4000 word mark there goes all your conclusion points as well.

Okay, reviving the theme, but I have a question and no answer on the horizon. :P Do the in-text references in brackets (talking MLA style, so it's basically a name followed by a page number) count? Thanks! :)

I had around 5000 words for my draft but was able to cut down to just under 4000. I think after cutting unnecessary "the"'s and "that"'s, you can always try to make a sentence more concise. For example, if you have a sentence with a lot of commas try breaking it up into two sentences. This saves words like "and", "but" etc.

As a last resort, don't be afraid to cut out paragraphs. I was reading an EE for a friend and she had an entire paragraph giving information about a movie, even though her EE was about something else. Although the information was interesting, it definitely wasn't necessary for her to make her point.

I'm doing my EE in psychology, which requires references embedded in the text. For example.. A study on IPV and associated coping strategies among Nigerian women (Itimi, Dienye, Gbeneol, 2014) confirmed these findings. Does the (Itimi, Dienye, Gbeneol, 2014) count in the word count? What about when I say , according to Tobin et al (1989), does the (1989) count in the WC? Please help!

I'm doing my EE in psychology, which requires references embedded in the text. For example.. A study on IPV and associated coping strategies among Nigerian women (Itimi, Dienye, Gbeneol, 2014) confirmed these findings. Does the (Itimi, Dienye, Gbeneol, 2014) count in the word count? What about when I say , according to Tobin et al (1989), does the (1989) count in the WC? Please help!

No, citations in any form [in text or footnotes] do not count as part of the word count.

5 hours ago, Merril889 said:

Is the materials and method page included in the word count? If it is and we put it in the appendix, would it still be included in the word count?

It depends. The key observation is that the appendix will not earn you marks and is optional for the examiner to read. So if "materials and method" is just something you mention in passing then it's perfectly fine to toss it into the appendix. However, If that is the only time you talk about your procedure then you should keep it out of the appendix.