I have 2 different ideas for my Chemistry IA experiment and am not sure which one is better. Both of them are on ocean acidification of coral reefs. As coral reefs are 95% calcium carbonate and so are seashells, I'm using seashells in my experiment.

1) My first experiment is on investigating effects of varying levels of concentration of carbon dioxide in water on seashells

So I will be investigating different levels of carbon dioxide in the water (varying concentrations of carbonic acid) on seashells in distilled water so I'll be carrying out titration to find the neutralising point and apply that to ocean acidification.

2) My second experiment is investigating different methods of alkaline of reducing ocean acidification in a lab setting

So I was thinking of using an antacid tablet and a sodium bicarbonate solution to test on the seashell and measure the mass. The seashell with the larger mass difference is the method with the more ineffective method for ocean acidification reduction. 

I hope this makes sense! Please feel free to ask any questions. Really appreciate the help.

• Like 1