Chemistry EE - Properties of bottled water

SurvivingIB2018

Hi! So I was thinking of doing my EE in Chemistry, and I wanted to originally investigate whether there was a difference in the mineral contents of different mineral water brands. I'm not sure my school has the required equipment so I was thinking of expanding it to include different properties such as hardness, pH, etc, just in case they don't. Do you guys think this is a good topic? Is it too broad?  Should I scrap it and focus on something else? I don't have a research question just yet as I'm just starting it but any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much!

I want to say that perhaps your RQ is a bit too elementary for the IB - in terms of the EE. They really like to see originality in science essays. For example, on the IB website they mentioned a guy testing how much worms liked bacteria from yoghurt. He scored well because it was something people hadn't delved into much. The marking scheme has changed and now even more points are at stake for knowledge content. About 12 I think. Perhaps reconsider your idea in terms of uniqueness.

Good luck!

• 8 months later...

Hi sorry for interupting your question. I am going to do my ee in chemistry but I am having a really hard time comming up with a topic, it is starting to get frustrating since I have changed topic several times and now I am starting to run out of time as I ideally should have decided my topic by tomorrow. could any of you please tell how you came up with your topics and the thought process behind it??