HELP BIOLOGY HL EXAMS! IN LESS THAN 2 DAYS

Hi,

I have my HL biology exams in less than 2 days, and i haven't done much revision for it, since no matter how hard i try, i just don't seem to understand the content, I have just been revising my Option topic to try and get higher marks, so that my overall mark can be higher. Do you guys think this is a good idea?? or what would you suggest?

GET A BROAD HOLISTIC UNDERSTANDING FOR ALL THE CORE & AHL TOPICS. IF YOU CAN'T DO ALL THE TOPICS, FOCUS ON THE SL ONES. LEAVE AHL TOPIC 11 ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY OUT SINCE THAT IS THE LEAST WEIGHTED TOPIC IN EXAMS.

REVISING OPTION TOPIC TO SCORE HIGHER ON PAPER 3 IS VALID STRATEGY SINCE IT IS JUST A UNIT TEST, BUT CRAM IT ON MONDAY RATHER THAN THIS WEEKEND SINCE PAPER 3 IS ON TUESDAY.

RIGHT NOW TRY TO GET A HOLISTIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE CORE SL TOPICS, AND THEN WHATEVER TIME IS LEFT SPLIT IT BETWEEN TOPICS 7-9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jojofletchh said:

Hey,

By broad understanding, what do you suggest I revise, since I am really bad at biology 

At this point it's really difficult to answer that question. Just skim through Chapters 1-6 and revise stuff you absolute have no idea about. Be able to draw monohybrid crosses, know differences between prokaryotes & eukaryotes, know definitions in ecology and modes of nutrition, explain how evolution arises due to variation and natural selection, and then general stuff from Chapter 6 e.g. how food is digested & absorbed, cardiac cycle & blood flow, blood clotting & what antibodies are + how they work, and then different functions of hormones related to homeostasis and sexual reproduction. 

11 minutes ago, jojofletchh said:

Oh i see, thank you!

Do you have an idea on what paper 2 section b questions will be about?

A mix of all the topics. You have to do two questions – each question will be split into 3 parts, totalling to 15 marks, and then a potential mark added for quality, thus 16 possible marks. Multiply this by two, since you need to do two questions, and you get a total of 32 marks – the number of marks allocated for Section B Bio HL Paper 2. An example of one question would be:

6. (Up to one additional mark for quality of responses)

a) Draw a labelled diagram of the heart. [4]

b) Explain DNA Replication as it occurs in Prokaryotes. [7]

c) Plants and animals both conduct anaerobic respiration, yet yield different products. Outline this difference, and any similarities. [3]

Though in the old syllabus the questions used to be more linked in terms of topics, they're mixing it more now. Usually it's 2x 3-4 mark questions on SL topics, and a 7-8 mark question on a HL topic.

The +1 mark is awarded for how well you structured your response and the clarity of it e.g. if you have a lot of irrelevant info, or your examiner needs to reread it more than once, you won't get the mark. 

Edited by IB`NOT`ez
  • Like 1