What are the most essential studies for psychology?

myjn

I'm sorry if there is thread about this already!

But anyways, I'm currently making flashcards for psychology so that I can drill psych studies into my brain. Obviously, memorising all of the studies covered in the course would be a waste of time and energy, so I'm looking for those really central studies that cover more than one level of analysis/as many learning outcomes as possible (example: the case studies concerning HM).

Do you guys have any suggestions of some really good studies that I can add to my list? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! <3

Edited by myjn

I don't really like HM myself tbh - you need to be able to make it clear how exactly does it show localization of function, and using a case study is a bit iffy compared to experiments.  Some central studies IMO:

BloA:

• Maguire et al. (2000) - taxicab driver stuff, links to quite a few learning outcomes
  • Martinez and Kesner (1991) - acetycholine, again multiple learning outcomes, and can also link to CloA in one learning outcome (biological factors on cognitive processing)

CloA:

• Bartlett (1932) - may be a good idea to check with your teacher to see if this is actually that good a study.  It links with quite a few learning outcomes, but the lack of rigour makes it somewhat iffy.
  • Glanzer and Cunitz (1966) - MSM + main principles of CloA, also a good experiment

SCLoA:

• Berry (1967) - links to multiple learning outcomes, really the only 'central' study that does this, others mostly revolve around just one
Edited by SC2Player
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SC2Player said:

I don't really like HM myself tbh - you need to be able to make it clear how exactly does it show localization of function, and using a case study is a bit iffy compared to experiments.  Some central studies IMO:

BloA:

• Maguire et al. (2000) - taxicab driver stuff, links to quite a few learning outcomes
  • Martinez and Kesner (1991) - acetycholine, again multiple learning outcomes can also link to CloA in one learning outcome (biological factors on cognitive processing)

CloA:

• Bartlett (1932) - may be a good idea to check with your teacher to see if this is actually that good a study.  It links with quite a few learning outcomes, but the lack of rigour makes it somewhat iffy.
  • Glanzer and Cunitz (1966) - MSM + main principles of CloA, also a good experiment

SCLoA:

• Berry (1967) - links to multiple learning outcomes, really the only 'central' study that does this, others mostly revolve around just one

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of HM either, but thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'll definitely use them ^_^