How to choose my ib subjects

Lai

Hello everyone, I am facing a serious dilemma choosing my IB subs. I am going to start IB this August and I still not very sure what I wanna do in the future. My current subject combination is (HL) Maths Bio Econs (SL) History Spanish English L&L. Basically, I choose all these subjects based on my interest in them in secondary school,  which means I didn't actually take my future career path into account. I was previously a science stream stu but i find myself just average in sciences, and thats why i picked only one science and two humanities (and i like history). But after doing my research, this particular subject combination of mine seems will give me a bleak future as: 
1. I probably wouldnt be able to become an engineer (as i didnt choose PHYSICS HL which opens up a lot of opportunities if combined  with MATH HL) *i learned that PHYSICS HL is not for everyone and i aint a physics frenzy, thus decided to not take it
2. I might wanna be a lawyer, still not very sure bout that tho, so currently history in the sl will be good enough as  i was told that history sl is tough enough
So what  left with me will be those economics, accounting, financial field which I am unfamiliar with (a secondary school sc stream stu). I am really fcked up right now 
SO i am asking valuable opinions to help me  evaluate my choice of subjects as above (can give me alternative combinations) or perhaps some advice to help me figure out my future path (in short,anything u think might help just tell me)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!  

21 hours ago, Lai said:

Hello everyone, I am facing a serious dilemma choosing my IB subs. I am going to start IB this August and I still not very sure what I wanna do in the future. My current subject combination is (HL) Maths Bio Econs (SL) History Spanish English L&L. Basically, I choose all these subjects based on my interest in them in secondary school,  which means I didn't actually take my future career path into account. I was previously a science stream stu but i find myself just average in sciences, and thats why i picked only one science and two humanities (and i like history). But after doing my research, this particular subject combination of mine seems will give me a bleak future as: 
1. I probably wouldnt be able to become an engineer (as i didnt choose PHYSICS HL which opens up a lot of opportunities if combined  with MATH HL) *i learned that PHYSICS HL is not for everyone and i aint a physics frenzy, thus decided to not take it
2. I might wanna be a lawyer, still not very sure bout that tho, so currently history in the sl will be good enough as  i was told that history sl is tough enough
So what  left with me will be those economics, accounting, financial field which I am unfamiliar with (a secondary school sc stream stu). I am really fcked up right now 
SO i am asking valuable opinions to help me  evaluate my choice of subjects as above (can give me alternative combinations) or perhaps some advice to help me figure out my future path (in short,anything u think might help just tell me)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!  

Well for starters, don't take English SL, take HL English A (Assuming you'd want to travel abroad for university, they don't like international applications "lagging behind" in English thus a high level English subject choice keeps you away from things like language proficiency admission tests). As for your career path, that's entirely up to you, but if you're going to do anything that has to do with typical law or engineering, don't take Biology. I don't know why you took Spanish SL but you (should probably) have a good reason for it. I should note this is from someone (me) who didn't do well choosing their subjects and found out what universities look for later on in first year...

Edited by Kai_Harry

English HL, is it really that significant to study abroad? With all respect but i ve never heard before that ENGLISH HL is so important. For the spanish, i dont see the need to put it on the hl, as i am not going towards Linguistics. My struggle is should i take PHYSICS HL (a subject which i somehow dislike and just doing average in it) just to secure a better future or not. I am still unsure what i wanna be in the future and thats the root of all my problems. My current combination will certainly refrain me from most of the engineerings degrees and bring me into a unfamiliar terrain, probably finance, econs, law, accountacy etc etc as i was a sc stream stu in the secondary schl. 

27 minutes ago, Lai said:

English HL, is it really that significant to study abroad? With all respect but i ve never heard before that ENGLISH HL is so important. For the spanish, i dont see the need to put it on the hl, as i am not going towards Linguistics. My struggle is should i take PHYSICS HL (a subject which i somehow dislike and just doing average in it) just to secure a better future or not. I am still unsure what i wanna be in the future and thats the root of all my problems. My current combination will certainly refrain me from most of the engineerings degrees and bring me into a unfamiliar terrain, probably finance, econs, law, accountacy etc etc as i was a sc stream stu in the secondary schl. 

source: https://www.quora.com/What-subjects-should-an-IB-student-take-to-pursue-engineering Math, Physics, Chemistry HL then Spanish, English and History SL seems fine for engineering. If you want to be an engineer you will definitely need to know Physics and Math...

On 1 May 2017 at 0:59 PM, Lai said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!  

For starters I would like to say that there is really no big difference between English HL and SL and actually you are better off taking HL, as you get more time in your exam. On a further note, are you sure you want to take History and math HL combined, to me it seems far fetched. I would either switch English and Math so take English HL and Math SL or switch history to another subject as your work load will be high up, even if you only took History SL. Also to be a lawyer you do not necessarily even have to take History. And I think Econ HL opens up a big field of interesting courses to study at university.

Hope this helps and good luck :)