Biology Paper 1 and Paper 2 Discussion

ls78

Oh God, for me Paper 1 was soo difficult, there were so many diagram questions... In my opinion it was the most difficult multiple choice that I have ever done! I did November 2016 for my mock exam and I got 40/40 so I don't know what went wrong yesterday :(

Paper 1 was definitely the most difficult multiple choice I've ever done, but it wasn't impossible. If everyone found it hard, at least they'll probably lower grade boundaries right? ;) As for Paper 2, I felt like it was more data analysis and less own knowledge than past papers, but that could just be me... I'm SL by the way

Paper 1 was quiet challenging, however, it only required candidates to read each question very carefully! Also, there were few questions from NOS ( personally i found P1 easy) . On the other hand, I found paper 2 quiet unfair. I studied really hard cover every topic  mentioned in the study guide, except menstrual cycle and factors affecting gene expression and guess what?! Both of them popped up on the paper worth 8 marks!! Luckily I had some idea about methylation and transcription regulator.

Edited by Meraj

Honestly, I found both paper 1 and 2 difficult. I had a mini heart attack when I saw the questions for paper 1 - I made a lot of guesses and believe me - I actually studied hard. Paper 2 section A was quite ok, but I didn't like any of the questions in Section B.... Meh. 

Edited by Natalia Ratajczak

On my paper 1, I'm pretty sure I guessed from questions 20 to 32.

Paper 2 focused on the two topics my bio teachers ran out of time to teach: the kidney and protein synthesis. I was a tad relieved however, to see that the 8 pages on 1 data question were manageable to figure out even if you had little knowledge about what was actually going on. I now hate turtles.

I didn't have high expectations for this exam given that my bio class was super difficult this year compared to all my other IB classes.

Guess we'll have to wait until July to see!

On 5/3/2017 at 4:24 PM, Snake_Lover said:

On my paper 1, I'm pretty sure I guessed from questions 20 to 32.

Paper 2 focused on the two topics my bio teachers ran out of time to teach: the kidney and protein synthesis. I was a tad relieved however, to see that the 8 pages on 1 data question were manageable to figure out even if you had little knowledge about what was actually going on. I now hate turtles.

I didn't have high expectations for this exam given that my bio class was super difficult this year compared to all my other IB classes.

Guess we'll have to wait until July to see!

Relatable. Paper 1 was just a guessing game most of the time, paper 2 focused on few topics only that teachers left for the end of the year and just flew through them. Meh, see you in November.

19 hours ago, JonasK said:

Relatable. Paper 1 was just a guessing game most of the time, paper 2 focused on few topics only that teachers left for the end of the year and just flew through them. Meh, see you in November.

I feel that the topics we did last actually were the ones I knew the most about because I had just done them

Wow so a lot of ppl found paper 1 hard. That's good in a way that the grade boundaries will be low. I studied hard and got the comolicated questions mostly right but then I somehow managed to screw up the easy ones like I wrote the size of flowers instead of small leaf surface for that question with image. Overall I hope grade boundaries are the same or lower. 33/40 for a 7 would be a relief, 32/40 ideal but that's too optimistic I think.

1 minute ago, IAIB said:

For tz2 people. What did youget for the genetics question when ir asked about the probability of child X having the desiase. 0.25? 

I think it was 0.50 since cystic fibrosis wasn't sex-linked. If you remember the genotypes of the parents I could show you the working. A lot of other people I know also got 0.50 

8 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I think it was 0.50 since cystic fibrosis wasn't sex-linked. If you remember the genotypes of the parents I could show you the working. A lot of other people I know also got 0.50 

Well ****. I'm pretty sure that none of the parents showed the desiase so it would be AaxAa. But I didn't take the ratios of other children into concideration so that's probably why I got the wrong answer. Thks for the reply

10 minutes ago, IAIB said:

And what about the leaving anticodon of tRNA? A or C?

Normally, translaton on an mRNA strand proceeds from 5' to 3' (left to right) as seen on most textbooks, and thus the E site is the left-most side. However there was an arrow showing the direction of translation pointing from right to left, hence we can infer that the direction is flipped. Therefore I chose the right-most side, so I think it was C. Definitely the answer that was the right-most in the image compared to the other letters. 

• Like 1

On 2017-05-02 at 10:15 AM, ls78 said:

What do you guys think of biology paper 1 and paper 2 HL & SL?

I'm a SL student in TZ2, just to be clear :) I found both paper 1 and 2 quite easy, however, the option was a bit more difficult.

18 hours ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I got 0.50 as well 

16 minutes ago, licia said:

I'm a SL student in TZ2, just to be clear :) I found both paper 1 and 2 quite easy, however, the option was a bit more difficult.

Really? I found the option quite entertaining, actually. Which option did you pick? I picked B.

I found paper 2 good as well, but paper 1 was definitely not my best.

47 minutes ago, ls78 said:

Really? I found the option quite entertaining, actually. Which option did you pick? I picked B.

I found paper 2 good as well, but paper 1 was definitely not my best.

Ahh, option B seemed interesting, but I picked D.

A lot of students in my class also thought paper 1 was more difficult than paper 2, but I actually thought paper 1 went even better than paper 2.