Hello, 

I was wondering how does the IB check for plagiarism in the Visual Arts course (for the visual content, like photos and images). I take Visual Arts HL Photography, and I am just worried that some of my content might show up online because I tend to publish stuff on Tumblr and such. My friends reblog my content and it's a heavy chain of reblog-repost action. Do you think I'll fail my diploma? It has been getting to me lately. 

If caught, they do contact you first, correct? I mean, you must be given a chance to explain yourself after all.

Someone help out a sister! I can't even focus on my exams...haha :gbye: 

Hi,

I really do not think it is a problem. I had a student in my grade, who allegedly copied some artist's work and did not reference that artist at all and still will probably pass. As long as it is yours it is no problem and I do not think they will now check the tumblr to see if it's yours, considering (I am pretty sure) you can see who posted it first.

I hope this helps and there is really no need to stress about something like that, especially not during exams :D

• Like 1

I am pretty sure they do not have time to do that. And even if they do and they find it online, which is highly unlikely, they will not do anything about it. However, there are some ways, like the website turn-it-in to check it.

Edited by shellziess

I totally understand why you are worried, I would be too considering I know that my work is lurking around the internet. But firstly, even if they do check, which is highly unlikely, they will see it is a picture of your own art piece, considering it is impossible to one on one copy from someone else. Secondly, I do not think they will check it anyways because the examiners have to not only check your art work but also other people and I am pretty sure they will have a lot to do to even bother checking if you plagiarised. Lastly, when did you send your art work off? 

The thing is, I've cited every single thing on both my process portfolio and comparative study, I've cited every single piece. I've have like 25 MLA sources for each of the two projects. So if they see that the requirements have been met, would they even be checking? Plus, the teacher signs off your art as authorised, no? 

The things I'm worried about is on the last few slides of my process portfolio. When you look it up, it shows up on random websites. But if they don't look, it shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering how they check? do you think they have a special software?

I submitted my work on April 9th. Do you think it should've been marked already?

If they see you cited a bunch of stuff they would not check. Also I do not know if there is a special software for visual arts but I know for a fact there are softwares, which even my school uses to see if we plagiarised. And yes your art teacher should have told you if something was wrong.

If you submitted it a month ago, the chances that they graded it already is high. So I do not think you have to worry. 

I am not but I know for a fact that my school send them off at approx the same time and I am pretty sure they do not wait until they get a **** load (sorry for my language) stuff to do. The minute they get stuff sent in they will grade it. Also the deadline was April 20th, so yes I do expect them to grade it as soon as possible.

If you would have been 'caught' for plagiarism you would first of all have to have a talk with your DP coordinator and your supervisor/teacher and you would have to explain the situation. Also, if you have plagiarised anything, you are not allowed to sit your exams, so honestly, you are completely fine. (I know this because I heard this from a student who actually got busted for (accidentally) plagiarising something. :)

They check for plagiarism randomly, I believe (as in, they take a random sample), but like I said, if you haven't heard anything, and you are sitting your exams, you should be fine! 

3 minutes ago, ZoeH said:

Are you sure? Can't they check for plagiarism after you take your exams? Because I assume they can mark your paper anytime between now and July. 

4 minutes ago, ZoeH said:

I mean if I submitted some of my stuff in late March and early April, I would've already been contacted if they have caught me plagiarising, what do you think?

They can check for plagiarism after you take your exams even though examiners are starting to mark all of the Art Portfolios, it takes time between April to late June. Therefore, they can find it out if you do plagiarise. I personally think if you post your arts online, it will not count as plagiarism because you did it all by yourself. They will contact you first (do not worry, they will not just frame everything on you) and at the worst scenario, you can provide proves that you are the owner of those arts and you posted arts online.