Hello, 

I was wondering how does the IB check for plagiarism in the Visual Arts course (for the visual content, like photos and images). I take Visual Arts HL Photography, and I am just worried that some of my content might show up online because I tend to publish stuff on Tumblr and such. My friends reblog my content and it's a heavy chain of reblog-repost action. Do you think I'll fail my diploma? It has been getting to me lately. 

If caught, they do contact you first, correct? I mean, you must be given a chance to explain yourself after all.

Someone help out a sister! I can't even focus on my exams...haha

• 2 weeks later...

My art department head was an examiner in May 2016 and he said he only ever saw a plagiarism report for the CS.

They must contact you if anything does show up. The IB guide states that there is a special "hearing" for plagiarism (would check that again, not 100% sure), especially for dubious cases/subjects like the arts. I mean, how many countless works do they see where students use famous works of art and graffiti over them or collage something?One of my classmates used Marilyn Monroe photographs which are, of course, copyrighted, but there's no issue with that; it's art! If they do check for plagiarism for the works, all those student's portfolios would come up... 

I would focus on your exams ;) Worst case, IB contacts you or you contact the IB and your friends, teachers, etc. can vouch for you. The IB isn't trying to fail you (that reflects badly on them!) and you should only be scared if you've truly copied someone else's work. Try and think of this situation like the shock of getting 99% on turnitin on an essay you didn't plagiarise at all, only to find out turnitin compared it with your previous draft! 

edit: loads of students share their work online, from their final exhibition to their studio work!

Edited by annasophieki

hey thanks for the reply!

Could you elaborate on this? I didn't understand:

"He said he only ever saw a plagiarism report for the CS" - you mean he only say a kid plagiarising for the CS? for the written part or what? How long has he been an examiner for? 

"They must contact you if anything does show up" - do they contact you as soon as they find out? or they wait until the diploma is released? 

"The IB guide states that there is a special "hearing" for plagiarism (would check that again, not 100% sure), especially for dubious cases/subjects like the arts" - don't understand this at all? what is a hearing?

thanks a million!!!!

The art teacher examined in the old syllabus and the new one (2016 for sure). What he told us he saw was something similar to turnitin, so a percentage and a breakdown. 

I've never heard of anyone getting caught with plagiarism, so I'm not sure when they contact you. I imagine over summer? Probably when the diplomas are released... not entirely sure tbh...

For more information on plagiarism/hearing, try researching online. I can't find anything concrete, only some weird IB pdfs, but nothing concrete, so don't stress about it too much. All you can do now is wait haha

Oh so they don't use turnitin? But what you're talking about is written plagiarism, like the text part?

have you heard anything about a visual software? That checks for visual work?

and they don't contact you before the diploma gets released? I thought they did! 

Also, if I submitted my work in early April, do they would've checked it/contacted me if anything was up by now?

My English teacher told my they don't use turnitin, but instead their own. I tried to find a source supporting this from the IBO but they're pretty hush-hush over how they check things (obviously :P). Like I said, that's the report my teacher saw on the CS, so only written things. He also told me not even the PP has a report (in his May 2016 examining session). To me, that sounds like the IB hasn't developed a visual work plagiarism checker... This is just some inductive reasoning and speculation, so if you're really beating yourself up about it, perhaps you can send the IBO an email. Other than that, all you can do it wait until July.

I think they would check anything when it's examined. That is likely any time after the April deadline (with so many candidates, they have to stagger marking them, I guess). I'm pretty sure that's what they do with IAs, so I don't see why it would be different in art.