Plagiarism in Economics Commentaries

Hey guys something has been really bothering me lately.

My school just sent my commentaries to the IB a while back. I found out that some definitions in one of my commentary weren't cited but were taken from 'Investopedia', however all my ideas and concepts were original. Will I get penalised for the uncited definitions?

1 hour ago, AZ123 said:

Hey guys something has been really bothering me lately.

My school just sent my commentaries to the IB a while back. I found out that some definitions in one of my commentary weren't cited but were taken from 'Investopedia', however all my ideas and concepts were original. Will I get penalised for the uncited definitions?

1 hour ago, jm92 said:

I also have the same problem as you, though my definitions were taken from the IB textbook. I forgot to cite any of the definitions ;( So worried.

To be honest, your teachers should have checked the whole paper for plagiarism before sending them off. I do not know what the degree of penalty is for not putting in the citation but be prepared for something like maybe a drop in points or even getting a 0 (which I hope for both of you will not happen)

I hope I did not cause too much stress!

@jm92 Dude don't worry I just spoke to my econ teacher. She said that it's fine if the definitions aren't cited. However, you can fall in trouble if anything other than the definition isn't cited. *Sigh Of Relief*.

On 2017-5-3 at 6:29 PM, jm92 said:

I also have the same problem as you, though my definitions were taken from the IB textbook. I forgot to cite any of the definitions ;( So worried.

Unless your definitions were in quotation marks, which I suppose is not the case, you're fine. They were in the IB textbook, which means you learnt them. It's like I learned that "ln(1)=0", but that doesn't mean I'm going to cite a book during my exam.

Citing becomes extremely important in cases such as when you use a set of data you found on the internet.

Edited by Martijn.S