Film Extended essay requirement

lim00544

I am planning to write my ee on film, and my current topic was 'How are filmic/cinematic techniques utilized by Tykwer and his team, in order to portray a sense of smell in his film, 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer' and how can their efficacy be measured?'. 

So I was going to analyze just 1 film 'perfume: the story of a murderer', but my supervisor says I need to select at least 2 films to compare. 

I looked at the Extended essay guidance for film, but it just mentions that 'For primary sources, there must be detailed references to at least one film (or major television work). Primary sources could consist of the film(s), the script, the screenplay, the score, personal contacts, or personal correspondence with individuals involved in making the film.'

Do I need at least 2 movies to compare?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi lim00544, I am also a Film student. To my knowledge, especially if you're working off the new EE syllabus, you can do an EE on just one film. However, from the sound of it your supervisor might be concerned there's not enough material within 1 film to hit 4000words, especially if you aren't particularly strong in filmic analysis. Possibly you might do a mind map or sample outline of your ideas, particularly the criteria you plan to use to measure the efficacy, to see if there's enough material. Other things to consider are how you're going to acquire the primary sources you've mentioned. If you find that your topic is not broad enough, you could expand it to refer to more of tykwers films or other films on smell. I don't know about this film, but from my experience film EEs tend to be an analysis of theme across works, director/cinematographer's work, a comparison of two films, a study of a movement etc.