Misconduct in the final exam

qa11zzz

I lost my Ti Nspire just before my math HL paper 2 and was totally desperate. So I brought my brother's Ti Nspire CAS to the exam. I know it is forbidden. But I just didn't come out with any other choices at that moment. And then I got caught by teachers around half an hour after the exam begins. Now they have already reported it to the IBO...

After checking this http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group0/d_0_dpyyy_vmx_1409_1/pdf/DP_regs_e.pdf

I thought my behavior belongs to "bringing unauthorized materials to the exam". I know I cannot get spared from penalties, but how severe will the penalty be for such a misconduct? Can I still get marks of Math Paper1 and Paper3? Will that affect the score of my other subjects?

Now I regret so much. Years of efforts spent for this diploma is all gone. I can no longer face my teachers and classmates. And my offer is at the risk of getting withdrawn by the college.  I only wish that I can still get certificates for subjects and get in college.

If your calculator is down before or during the exam, your teachers should have some backup Ti84s. It's funny that I didn't learn this until the moment I get caught. 

Anyways, don't ever try to challenge the rules. Don't ever think that you won't get caught for cheating. This is exactly how I ruined myself. 

Edited by qa11zzz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, qa11zzz said:

I lost my Ti Nspire just before my math HL paper 2 and was totally desperate. So I brought my brother's Ti Nspire CAS to the exam. I know it is forbidden. But I just didn't come out with any other choices at that moment. And then I got caught by teachers around half an hour after the exam begins. Now they have already reported it to the IBO...

After checking this http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group0/d_0_dpyyy_vmx_1409_1/pdf/DP_regs_e.pdf

I thought my behavior belongs to "bringing unauthorized materials to the exam". I know I cannot get spared from penalties, but how severe will the penalty be for such a misconduct? Can I still get marks of Math Paper1 and Paper3? Will that affect the score of my other subjects?

Now I regret so much. Years of efforts spent for this diploma is all gone. I can no longer face my teachers and classmates. And my offer is at the risk of getting withdrawn by the college.  I only wish that I can still get certificates for subjects and get in college.

If your calculator is down before or during the exam, your teachers should have some backup Ti84s. It's funny that I didn't learn this until the moment I get caught. 

Anyways, don't ever try to challenge the rules. Don't ever think that you won't get caught for cheating. This is exactly how I ruined myself. 

I'm not sure about your specific case, but if for example you didn't arrive for your Paper 2 exam, you would not receive a grade for Paper 2, but still receive the marks from Paper 1, Paper 3 and IA.

Also, it sounds like slight incompetency on your schools' part. When checking all the students before the exam started, and during the 5 minutes reading time or what not, shouldn't someone have noticed your calculator being inappropriate sooner? This way you could still have just received a (perhaps stern) reprimand but otherwise also a backup Ti-84 from your teachers to proceed with for your exam. 

I would think the IB will provide you with the opportunity to provide a written statement to explain your actions, and if things go smoothly from there, you would probably just lose your Paper 2 marks. 

Best of luck, and I hope you're not too down. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

Also, it sounds like slight incompetency on your schools' part. When checking all the students before the exam started, and during the 5 minutes reading time or what not, shouldn't someone have noticed your calculator being inappropriate sooner? This way you could still have just received a (perhaps stern) reprimand but otherwise also a backup Ti-84 from your teachers to proceed with for your exam. 

That is actually a good point. Isn't the invigilator supposed to reset the calculators before the exam? He should have noticed it at that point.

I hope the best for you, hopefully you can get your perspective into the story. The only thing that might bother the IB is that your actions were intentional (in the sense that you decided to take that calculator into the exam room, plus while knowing it was prohibited).

@IB`NOT`ez side note. It's a failing condition if someone misses any aassessment without documented exuse such as sudden illness.

Take a look at the General Regulations document as found on the IB website and the Conduct of IB exams as found on this forum under Files/General IB downloads/Other IBO ducuments. This is the 2016 version. Ask your coordinator for the 2017 version. Both documents will help greatly in your written defence.

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 10:44 AM, qa11zzz said:

your teachers are not doing their job, if they really care about students, they should have at least some backup calculators/pens/pencils for them during exam. This is probably the most important moment for students in life. I feel so sorry for you.

In my school, our teachers even provide dictionary for exams where its the language in paper is not our first language (ib allows this of course)

Also, it is against the rules if teacher didn't check the calculators of students before the start of the exam. I dunno, but you could report this to the ib

18 hours ago, captain teemo on duty said:

In my school, our teachers even provide dictionary for exams where its the language in paper is not our first language (ib allows this of course)

I don't want to be too off topic but as of now dictionary is only allowed on Classical languages (Ancient Greek or Latin) Paper 1, and some Group 2 Written Assignments. Message me if you want to talk about this. 

29 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

I don't want to be too off topic but as of now dictionary is only allowed on Classical languages (Ancient Greek or Latin) Paper 1, and some Group 2 Written Assignments. Message me if you want to talk about this. 

oh really xd, i was 2015 may grad, our first language is not eng so a translating dictionary is provided at chem/physics/bio econ

@captain teemo on duty @kw0573

To quote the Conduct of examinations document:

4. Candidates may take to their desk/table only the following items:

• a translating dictionary for non-modern language examinations (the dictionary must not contain notes of any kind and is only permitted if the response language of the examination is not the best language of the candidate; an electronic dictionary is not permitted).

This means that you're essentially allowed to have a translating dictionary for anything other than your A and B language exams.

Edited by Martijn.S
  • Like 1