IB Mathematics SL Paper 1 Discussion

abc7

I don't know if I can talk about it yet but I don't really wanna talk about the material anyways, just how bad I thought it was.

It's been 24 hours since Paper 1 and I thought that was bad (but I still think I can get a 4 or 5)

I just took Paper 2 and I'm pretty sure it was the worst Paper 2 ever written, and I think I failed :(

(Moderator edit: Paper 1 may be discussed but not yet Paper 2)

(TZ2)

Found Paper 1 to be "okish" at the beginning then realized I made super dumb mistakes. Confirmed with my teacher just recently the answers to most of the questions so hoping for a 79-82/90. Still, I felt last May's Paper 1s for both timezones were easier. 

Heard from Reddit though the TZ1 Paper 1 was hard as ****. 

TZ1

p1 made me want to cry. I didn't put anything down for 9 and 10 I basically just wrote down formulas. I was predicted at a 7 for math sl and got ~90% on basically all past papers. Now I'm worried I won't even get a 5 :(( P2 I didn't even finish the questions took so long. Hoping for the boundaries to be waaaay lower than past years :crying:

16 hours ago, 45'er said:

How do you guys think about the boundaries for TZ2? I'm super-worried that they'll increase the points by 3-4.. Like in May 2014, which is 86 for a 7.

Those May 2014 papers were memes, and our papers were definitely more challenging though not by too much.

May 2015 TZ2 had same boundaries as May 2016 TZ2 despite its difficulty being less, so I think our boundary would be 82 at most and 83 a very low possibility. Despite a lot of opinions that the exams were decent in difficulty and not as hard, there are still some cases where people felt absolutely destroyed by it.

I'm also sure that though a lot of people felt it was easy, there were a lot of easy mistakes to make on that paper e.g. Integration by substitution, log question, and the final question that would undermine first impressions. 

Edit: Mind you, May 2016 TZ2 was not too hard and still had a boundary of 81. 

I am TZ1 and that paper 1 for that exam was not fun at all. And I took SL last year so I figured I could do well this year. P2 was easier than the P1 but everything my teacher said would have a low chance of appearing on the exam, was on the exam.