List of biology IA ideas

Martijn.S

Here is a website our bio teacher gave us, after seeing the amount of idea requests, I thought it might be an idea to share it. It has a list of practicals, most of which can be used for an IB bio lab report. There are also some documents such as examples, and consent sheets. 

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-biology/topics

Edited by Martijn.S
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-06 at 1:05 PM, Martijn.S said:

Here is a website our bio teacher gave us, after seeing the amount of idea requests, I thought it might be an idea to share it. It has a list of practicals, most of which can be used for an IB bio lab report. There are also some documents such as examples, and consent sheets. 

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-biology/topics

I have a question for you, do Biology HL students need to do a bio IA in an HL topic? Because I have a feeling that mine isn't up to HL level but I'm already at the end of DP1. 

8 hours ago, RElshaer said:

I have a question for you, do Biology HL students need to do a bio IA in an HL topic? Because I have a feeling that mine isn't up to HL level but I'm already at the end of DP1. 

You're not obliged to. I can't find it in the bio guide, in any case. I could find the following:

"The internal assessment requirements at SL and at HL are the same." (IB bio guide 2016, p.148)

Nonetheless, I think it's better to do something from the HL topics, or at least use it as an extension (e.g. something about enzymes going more in detail or using inhibitors). My teacher made the HL students take HL subjects, just to be sure. To be honest, this is what I advise since that examiners will already see a bunch of similar SL IAs and will most likely be happy to see some diversity.

In short; yes, but I would reconsider.

Don't hesitate to message me if you need more help. Good luck!

• Like 1