Canadian coalition government

Mr. Shiver

For example, if we only have Harper's Tories in government with the minority they have, then for sure they will only follow their belifs and some of what they may do will not be benifical to everyday Canadians.

And somehow liberals/ndp won't follow their own doctrines? The proposition for a coalition only included the means to make a minority government, not a majority.

That being said, care to elaborate on how conservative platform is bad for Canadians? Apart from Harper's recent foolishness, you can't claim that a conservative government will somehow be detrimental to Canadians, and leave the obvious issues with the liberal/NDP coalition plan untouched. Remember that even with a parliament, the conservatives can't pass ridiculous bills, as was seen last week.

I will gladly elaborate. The Tories are pro-war and i believe (correct me if I'm wrong because im not sure about this) that they still wish to proceed with Canada's involvent in the Iraq war. This is a waste of money because the war has gotten so old to the point where it needs to stop. Instead of spending so much money and lives in the war, the government should use that money for something affecting many Canadians! I have no problem with the Tories in office, its Harper who i detest! If the leader was a bit wiser, i would not mind the Tories being in parliement. Also, we had federal elections because the Country was not getting anywhere because of the minority. We still have a minority! If we want ANY imporvement then the parties need to work together to come up with a plan to help Canada during this time of economic downfall! I think the coalition is worth trying because ALL Canadians will be repersented in a way. Yes the Libs and NDP will follow their own doctrines, but im more in favour of the Liberals being in power because I am more in favour of their belifs. NDP is a party that i do not really support, but if they are part of the coalition I do not mind.In a perfect world, ALL the parties would work together to help Canada out by choosing plans that benifical all Canadian and not their own sepereate belifs, but this is not a perfect world and I think we need to give the coalition a chance. Keeping a pessimitic outlook on this issue won't help the country.

Theoretically, unless the liberals and conservatives or the conservatives and the NDP can find common ground, not so likely for the latter, the Bloc gets to dictate a large part of Canadian politics. We don't need that right now, we need a new conservative leader and a new liberal leader who see the need for the cooperation between Canada's two biggest political parties. Dion has pretty much failed as far as his future in politics goes, and Harper has just made some serious miscalculations and ignored the advice of his fellow conservatives. In my opinion, the common ground between these parties can be easily used for the benefit of the country, but instead we have Harper making enemies and the enemies making one giant massed alliance, because they're unable to count on Harper for any sort of diplomacy. All very bad. On the up side, the stock market went up a bit today, but this past week has still been the first time this year that Canadian stocks have been lower than American ones. Bad stuff.

• 1 month later...
More Canadians voted for Harper and the conservative party than any of the other parties, so at least there is some semblance of democracy while the conservatives control the government.

Not true. 62% of Canadians who voted did not vote for Harper and his Conservatives. Harper does not have the popular vote. Why should rural seats decide who is Prime Minister? It's not that the parliamentary system is flawed--as a Prime Minister does in fact wield quite a bit of power--it's just that it doesn't serve the people. We can't have an Obama because we vote only for parties and not for our leaders separately.