HL math vs. HL english vs. HL Physics [URGENT]

Guest sadfasdfeeeeee

Guest sadfasdfeeeeee

Right now I'm in HL math. I choose HL math because I enjoy the teacher, although stupid me hasn't been paying attention throughout the year. I didn't pay attention to limits, related rates, integrals, and partly derivatives.

I don't want to switch to math methods but I think I might have to because I think I have fallen pretty far behind and I usually get D's/F's on my math tests. methods and HL I heard are basically the same classes yet the methods tests are harder and there are no "make ups" for methods. Also the HL tests are more confined (ex. a test on 4.1-4.5 and another test on 4.6-4.9) compared to the methods class (ex. a test on chp. 4). The methods class gets less homework too, though I don't know how that will benefit me later on.

I am doing better in English though and I LOVE physics. Both of those are SL and I'm thinking that I might switch to one of them. I'm scared to switch though because I heard for HL English you get NO guiding questions on one of your tests, and I heard that the IB physics test is EXTREMELY hard, and there are some parts of physics that I absolutely despise (but it's only like 2 chapters or so). I'm not to sure of what guiding questions are though because I don't think I have ever been given any so could someone provide an example of one?

I'm just wondering if you guy's think that it would be possible for me to catch-up with math and get back on track and I have a test on integrals and related rates this Wednesday or if you think that I should switch. If you think I should switch say whether I should switch to English or Physics.

Oh, Physics and English are the same classes at my school for SL and HL, though for HL english you do need to do more essays but for physics it's the exact same until the IB exam.

Edited by Cmertin

Math Methods is SL so how can it be harder than HL? Eng A1 HL is highly subjective so I, personally, find it harder to score a 7 in than in math.

If your test is on Wednesday, you still have a good 3-4 days to revise. I think you could do it if you really wanted to, but the choice is ultimately up to you.

Guest sadfasdfeeeeee

My friend dropped HL because he didn't want to do all the HW, and he said that the tests are harder for methods than for HL.

Do you know any good way for me to catch up?

Well, so far this year I've gotten 90-100s on my physics and math HL tests, and I'd have to say the math tests are twice as hard, and the material is way harder to learn well. I'm putting 3 or 4 times the time in to math, and getting similar marks in both courses.

I would recommend dropping math to SL and taking physics at HL if you're behind. SL math is way easier and has less material, whereas the HL extensions for physics are ridiculously easy provided you take the time to study them.

I have both math HL and physics HL, and indead math HL is much harder then physics HL. You can work on passing the math HL exam, but it will cost extremly much work. You need to redo the stuff you missed during the christmas break, and next term do a lot of old exam questions and **** like that.

There is really no easy way, if you switch to english HL there will be more to do, and if you switch to physics HL you will also get much more due to the HL stuff that you need to study. I actually disagree with Sharkspider that the HL extensions are redicilously easy, some of them are quit hard even though you study. So it is a tuff choice, but also keep in mind what you want to study later on, as your subject choice might affect what you can study later.

[quote name='Cmertin' post='29293' date='Nov 30 2008, 05:51 AM']My friend dropped HL because he didn't want to do all the HW, and he said that the tests are harder for methods than for HL.

Do you know any good way for me to catch up?[/quote]
lol. I can assure you, Math Methods is a BREEZE compared to HL, both in the amount of homework and especially in the level of difficulty of the test.
The guiding questions in A1 English are completely useless, so I don't think you should consider it a reason for not changing. All you get is a few questions like: "Describe the stylistic devices in this text." or "Describe the way the author talks about death" in an extract about death.

[quote name='Cmertin' post='29293' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:51 PM']My friend dropped HL because he didn't want to do all the HW, and he said that the tests are harder for methods than for HL.

Do you know any good way for me to catch up?[/quote]
There's no way of catching up other than doing all the hw, or at least, the parts that you don't understand. Just reading and understanding won't get you too far, because once you get the test, you'll forget everything.

Also, could you perhaps pull your mark up with subsequent tests? You're in IB1, so you have a lot of tests to go...

If you do drop though, I think Physics HL would be easier. Eng A1 is rather vague, IMO, and you don't really know how you're doing until after you write your exams.

I'm sure some people would disagree but that's what I think. :sadnod:

At my school, people who drop from HL Math (failing the class or getting bad grades) to Methods get high 80s, so I would recommend you switch.
You didn't specify what you career you want to pursue, but keep in mind that if you study in the UK sometimes they require certain subjects at HL, so you might want to check that. Other than that, if you love Physics, then you're more likely to study for it, and if you find it interesting, you'll pay more attention in class.