Extended Essay Subject Area

Atharva Torne

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma over my research question for the IB Extended Essay. 

My research question is as follows: 

What role did the diet of the Roman Army play in their Egyptian military campaign? 

Ideally, it should fall under History, but since nutrition is involved, it also qualifies as a Biology topic. My dilemma is, what subject area does this research question fall under, and whether or not it is allowed to write an Extended Essay in two subject areas - History and Biology in this case. I know this might be a really stupid question, but I hope that you guys can help me!

My tentative plan (subject to approval) is to write the entire nutrition / diet part of the essay in terms of Biology (including diagrams, reports, microscope images (if applicable), etc.) and then use the historical part of this essay to compare the nutrition to the terrain the Roman Army used to fight on in the hope of answering my research question. I'd also appreciate feedback on this plan. 

Thanks! :):) 

It depends on what you want to focus on. Technically speaking a biology extended essay would include an experiment, so I would say make it a history extended essay and I do not see a problem in including biological aspects, such as diagrams, reports and microscope images, as long as you explain it clearly. The focus should still be on history though and also do not forget to include historian references. 

Hope this helps :) 

• Like 2

The EE is suposed to be based on one subject. Only exception is World Studies, which is reserved for contemporary exploration of development, world health, world food security that kinda stuff. I would keep the biology discussion general and accessible to those who do not study biology

• Like 2