Math HL IA

Le Brongu

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of doing my IA on soccer. I was going to model the curve of a knuckleball and find an equation for it. I don't want to do curve ball because I think it was done before. What do you think? Is it too complicated? Any suggestions? Thank you and hope we all survive IB together. 

I'm assuming you're using calculus to find the equation, so it should be fine.  As long as your math falls underneath the HL syllabus, you should be OK.  There won't be any need to make it overly complicated though - you can probably just use first order differential equations to model the situation.  

Really depends on the equations that you use and assumptions you make.  Search around on Google - the best models are probably the ones that involve calculus that you can understand without needing to learn new knowledge, or only a tiny bit extra. 

• Like 1

A good way to start is to search for "knuckleball math" or "knuckleball physics" or "effects of air resistance" and look for results that have equations and/or are from scholarly sources (essentially what @SC2Player said).

A challenge in these physics topics is to find a way to add personal engagement. This one especially is hard to include either mathematical or physical experimentation. Keep that in mind as you look for citations.