I am wondering how the IA's will affect the final IB grade. Let's say I have an accumulated 4 on my Econ IA. However, I get a 5 on my External Assessments (all 3)! What will be my Final grade? Will it be a 5 or a 4? I know the IA is 20% and the external Assesment is 80%. I was told that whatever I get on my External Assesment, will be final grade. The IA helps if the candidate is at the very end of a boundary. I have been getting different pieces of information. I am not sure how the IA works. Everyone keeps saying its "Only 20%", and the External Assessments are far more important. 

Can someone please help me!!!! 

Yes the external assessments are more worth, however the internal assessment might determine whether you got a 4 or a 5 if its the case that you dont get a 5 in all papers. Another thing you must be aware of is that it is also determined on whether you have a high or low 5 but generally speaking if you have a 5 in all your papers and a 4 in your IA you will get a 5

• Like 1

Thank you so much! If I do get a low 5 on my External Assessments, and the IA stays as a four will that bump my final grade to a 4? Sorry for the many questions! What if I don't get all 5s on all the papers, and I get a 4 on one of my papers. However, I get a 6 and a 5 on the other two papers, will that be a 4 as a final grade (including the IA)?

Edited by CONFUSEDKID0813

Okay so the way it works in economics

Paper 1: 30%

Paper 2: 30%

Paper 3: 20%

IA: 20%

So even if you get low 5's on all 3 you'd still get a 5. However if you get a 4 on paper 3 and your IA  and low 5's on paper 1&2 you may end up getting a 4, depending on the total grade boundary, which changes every year, but usually this does not happen so just relax. Anyways it depends on what paper you got what seeing as paper 1&2 are worth more than paper 3

It depends on the individual scores in the papers/IAs and what they add up to, and not the grades they correspond to so, e.g. if you got 60 on something, not whether it's a 5 on that component. And then they have different weights. 

As an example, in Maths SL, I had a 6 in my paper 1, 6 in my IAs, but a 4 in Paper 2. And it added up to a 5 in the end. 

Edited by Gaby
  • Like 3