Volunteer Hours

Hi, 

I am currently a grade 8 student and I'm going into Pre-IB next year. I was wondering if I could volunteer this summer, however many of my friends are saying that people that they know that are currently doing IB have to do somewhere around 120 hours of volunteer hours, and it can ONLY be done in grade 11 and 12. 

I tried my best to search it up and see what the possible options are but I can't seem to find any information about when it can be done. I was wondering if anyone knew when the volunteer hours can be done, and specifically how many hours?

Just for reference I live in Ontario, and our minimum is 40 hours.

Thanks,

Xyphn 

The current system for CAS (Creativity, Action, Service) does not require any specific number of hours, but generally 50 hours of volunteering (or service) is a good benchmark.  The hours for IB only count when you're doing the diploma, which is usually grades 11 and 12, so if you're planning on doing these volunteer hours for CAS, leave it for that time.  Some useful links for CAS in general:

• Like 1

If you know that you will do well in the actual IB diploma and you are going to try your best, you are required to do 150 hours by the time u finish grade 12; it is a requirement for you to finish the diploma program. You can start your volunteer hours as soon as your graduate even if it's not the last day of school. For example, if you last day of school is the 29th, but your graduation was on the 23, you can start volunteering on the 24th. You basically have 4 years to complete your 150 hours and there are no requirement or set number of hours you need to do each year. Good luck in Pre-IB! I also got accepted this year too ^^. What high school are you going to?

In Ontario, you may start your volunteering hours before September of grade 9. IB requests different commitments than your OSSD requirements. Generally CAS is not meant to be completed in a summer. Don't think of CAS as something you have to do, but treat it like a learning opportunity. 

13 hours ago, Rebecca132 said:

If you know that you will do well in the actual IB diploma and you are going to try your best, you are required to do 150 hours by the time u finish grade 12; it is a requirement for you to finish the diploma program. You can start your volunteer hours as soon as your graduate even if it's not the last day of school. For example, if you last day of school is the 29th, but your graduation was on the 23, you can start volunteering on the 24th. You basically have 4 years to complete your 150 hours and there are no requirement or set number of hours you need to do each year. Good luck in Pre-IB! I also got accepted this year too ^^. What high school are you going to?

Thanks for the info! And I'm going to Milliken Mills Public School (new IB Markham school). I got accepted into Father Michael McGivney, but however I really despised universities, world religion, and since I plan to take music every year, I didn't want to play only Christan songs for the next 4 years. 

11 hours ago, kw0573 said:

In Ontario, you may start your volunteering hours before September of grade 9. IB requests different commitments than your OSSD requirements. Generally CAS is not meant to be completed in a summer. Don't think of CAS as something you have to do, but treat it like a learning opportunity. 

Thank you for your response! If I volunteer this summer, will it count towards CAS? I'm just wondering because this summer both my parents are busy, and I will do nothing but stay home all day. 

1 hour ago, Xyphn said:

Thank you for your response! If I volunteer this summer, will it count towards CAS? I'm just wondering because this summer both my parents are busy, and I will do nothing but stay home all day. 

It will not count. The earliest you can do CAS is the summer before grade 11 (IB Year 1). For now, considering finding a job, get some exercise, do regular OSSD volunteering, and/or study ahead. 

You can start your OSSD hours in the summer after you finish grade 8. I know some good sources to find volunteer opportunities in the GTA, you can message me if you're interested. Try to find a reliable place to volunteer so you will not have to constantly hunt events like I did in grade 9.

As for your CAS hours, it's good to keep in mind that basically any of your activities can count as CAS and there are far more potential activities for CAS than there are for OSSD hours. I was only allowed to start CAS in the September of grade 11, but it seems like some people have been able to start during. Best to check with your school on this one.

• Like 1