Jump to content

Chemistry HL vs Economics HL

Recommended Posts

I am going to take Math and Physics at Higher level. I am aiming to study engineering in the future, mostly interested in Electronic Engineering.

Do you guys think it is worth downgrading Chemistry HL to SL for Economics HL in order to relieve the stress of Math and Physics HL? Do you think Chemistry could be useful because of it's interrelation to other subjects.?

From what I have heard, Economics has a paper 3 which could be beneficial mark wise. Economics in Higher level also has less additional topics compared to the extensions in Chemistry HL. I believe this choice could relieve stress.

On the other hand, Chemistry HL is a science subject which gives me more complementary knowledge for what I will be learning. It would be useful in the pursuit of engineering.

I am equally passionate about these subject, putting me in a dilemma of which to take. I would like to know your opinion of which might be a better choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having taken both Economics and Chemistry HL, I would choose Chemistry HL over Economics HL in a heartbeat. Especially in conjunction with Maths and Physics HL, Chemistry HL is much more complementary and enjoyable, as well as preparing you a lot better for engineering.

Economics HL is a tedious chore honestly, and Paper 3s of late has been getting much harder – it's no longer the "free marks" it used to be. As a matter of fact, the only reason the grade boundaries for May 2017 Economics HL isn't going to skyrocket high is because of a difficult Paper 3. 

Additionally, it's preferable also to do the subject you truly enjoy rather than the one that's "easy", as you're more likely to put in effort into a subject you're engaged in. Seeing as you like both though, and you're in a dilemma, I would simply suggest going for Chemistry HL due to the reasons noted above, and a lot more I can describe in time based on my own experience with the subject. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 2:41 PM, Vamsi said:

I am going to take Math and Physics at Higher level. I am aiming to study engineering in the future, mostly interested in Electronic Engineering.

Do you guys think it is worth downgrading Chemistry HL to SL for Economics HL in order to relieve the stress of Math and Physics HL? Do you think Chemistry could be useful because of it's interrelation to other subjects.?

From what I have heard, Economics has a paper 3 which could be beneficial mark wise. Economics in Higher level also has less additional topics compared to the extensions in Chemistry HL. I believe this choice could relieve stress.

On the other hand, Chemistry HL is a science subject which gives me more complementary knowledge for what I will be learning. It would be useful in the pursuit of engineering.

I am equally passionate about these subject, putting me in a dilemma of which to take. I would like to know your opinion of which might be a better choice.

 

I am a may 2015 graduate and i did both econ and chem at HL. Econ HL is one of the easiest subjects to get a 7 if you understand basic concepts and willing to memorise things, diagrams. Got an easy 7. 

On the other hand, chem hl needs you to have really good scientific mind, you have to understand concepts and equations, also to do lots of past paper questions. Questions on the same topics can be asked in many different ways. 

Do you plan to study uni in hk or uk? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its pretty dependent on your fortes. Personally for me, I prefered econ HL. Economics is a lot of common sense, some basic and similar graphs and math for kindergartners. I personally found all econ paper a breeze, I finished them all early with lots of extra time. Also econ mark schemes are nuts, as long as it makes sense it works. But chemistry HL marks are so specific on what they want. For an example, in a past exam I saw, you can't say morphine relieves pain, you have to add cancer in or somethin. Otherwise, 0 marks. To me, econ was practically a free booster. I studied only a few days for econ, most concepts are easy to memorize if you understand their application. ( and actually listened in class) I studied an entire month for chemistry, meticulously wrote notes for my entire textbook, watched a ib chem videos, and still fail to grasp many concepts and memorize them. 

However with that being said, some econ just doesn't stick well with some people. Depends on what you're good at. For me, chem was a living nightmare. HL has so many things, my head was going to pop. 

If you're very intent on electrical engineering, I'd suggest taking chemistry HL, but ONLY, ONLY if your grades are very good. You don't want to risk your uni acceptances for some extra knowledge now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, captain teemo on duty said:

I am a may 2015 graduate and i did both econ and chem at HL. Econ HL is one of the easiest subjects to get a 7 if you understand basic concepts and willing to memorise things, diagrams. Got an easy 7. 

On the other hand, chem hl needs you to have really good scientific mind, you have to understand concepts and equations, also to do lots of past paper questions. Questions on the same topics can be asked in many different ways. 

Do you plan to study uni in hk or uk? 

 

9 hours ago, Astruma said:

I think its pretty dependent on your fortes. Personally for me, I prefered econ HL. Economics is a lot of common sense, some basic and similar graphs and math for kindergartners. I personally found all econ paper a breeze, I finished them all early with lots of extra time. Also econ mark schemes are nuts, as long as it makes sense it works. But chemistry HL marks are so specific on what they want. For an example, in a past exam I saw, you can't say morphine relieves pain, you have to add cancer in or somethin. Otherwise, 0 marks. To me, econ was practically a free booster. I studied only a few days for econ, most concepts are easy to memorize if you understand their application. ( and actually listened in class) I studied an entire month for chemistry, meticulously wrote notes for my entire textbook, watched a ib chem videos, and still fail to grasp many concepts and memorize them. 

However with that being said, some econ just doesn't stick well with some people. Depends on what you're good at. For me, chem was a living nightmare. HL has so many things, my head was going to pop. 

If you're very intent on electrical engineering, I'd suggest taking chemistry HL, but ONLY, ONLY if your grades are very good. You don't want to risk your uni acceptances for some extra knowledge now. 

Quote

Having taken both Economics and Chemistry HL, I would choose Chemistry HL over Economics HL in a heartbeat. Especially in conjunction with Maths and Physics HL, Chemistry HL is much more complementary and enjoyable, as well as preparing you a lot better for engineering.

Economics HL is a tedious chore honestly, and Paper 3s of late has been getting much harder – it's no longer the "free marks" it used to be. As a matter of fact, the only reason the grade boundaries for May 2017 Economics HL isn't going to skyrocket high is because of a difficult Paper 3. 

Additionally, it's preferable also to do the subject you truly enjoy rather than the one that's "easy", as you're more likely to put in effort into a subject you're engaged in. Seeing as you like both though, and you're in a dilemma, I would simply suggest going for Chemistry HL due to the reasons noted above, and a lot more I can describe in time based on my own experience with the subject. 

My aim is mainly Hong kong universities. I decided to take Chemistry HL, dropping Economics to SL. I think it would be worth the knowledge for the extra work put. 

I am not 100% sure if I should stick to this decision. I just hope it does not add on to the pressure given by my languages in SL which are going to be tough for me.

I am generally interested in chemistry but the problem is that we have a high chance of having a bad teacher for the class. She has been teaching our class for 2 years and I have absolutely NOT been fine with her teaching. On the other hand, I am tired of the extensive workload given by Economics. Essays after essays, quizzes after quizzes, they just keep on coming for the entire year. I am pretty sure this workload will continue in the following years. 

 

Edited by Vamsi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Vamsi said:

 

My aim is mainly Hong kong universities. I decided to take Chemistry HL, dropping Economics to SL. I think it would be worth the knowledge for the extra work put. 

I am not 100% sure if I should stick to this decision. I just hope it does not add on to the pressure given by my languages in SL which are going to be tough for me.

I am generally interested in chemistry but the problem is that we have a high chance of having a bad teacher for the class. She has been teaching our class for 2 years and I have absolutely NOT been fine with her teaching. On the other hand, I am tired of the extensive workload given by Economics. Essays after essays, quizzes after quizzes, they just keep on coming for the entire year. I am pretty sure this workload will continue in the following years. 

 

As a hong kong student, you may probably know the importance of marks  when you apply to hong kong unis. I am a hongkonger as well but i decided to study at uk unviersities. As you indicated you would like to study math & physics hl, (these two are of course, essential to your programme you've chosen), the third HL subject is entirely 'free' for you to choose. Economics, although it seem difficult with that countless workloads, and quizzes, the only things count towards your final grade is

(3 *IA + Paper 1/2/3). IAs are pretty easy to hit 7, given you spend some time and check carefully before you submit. The 3 exam papers are really just repetition of past yrs.

Chemistry HL includes (IA) = investigation/lab report as you know, it's relatively difficult to get high scores. Paper 3 now contains a part where its from all part of the course, making it more challenging than previous years (before only options in paper 3). Paper 1/2 are fine, but there are always questions that challenge you, making most people getting a 6 than 7. 

What i mean is that economics hl is easier than chemistry hl in terms of marks predictability, and 'surprises' in exams. All the quizzes that you do now means nothing to your final grade, except of course internal assessments, which count 20% . 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK HKU, CUHK, and HKUST do not require chemistry HL for electrical engineering (probably only for chemical engineering, and even then I don't know if you need chemistry HL).  As Teemo pointed out, HK universities often put quite a large emphasis on marks, although for engineering it's nowhere near as strict as, say, business or medicine.  Generally you'd need a score of about 35-36 to be considered.  

Just like to add that HKUST seems to offer the best facilities out of the three - I've been to CUHK for some summer courses, and their science and engineering departments have been kind of squashed by the medicine department.  My dad is a professor at HKUST, and from what I've seen the labs and overall facilities are quite a bit better (mostly shinier stuff, although the humidity can wreak havoc).  Can't say much on HKU (only been to the open days), but their engineering department seems quite small.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SC2Player said:

AFAIK HKU, CUHK, and HKUST do not require chemistry HL for electrical engineering (probably only for chemical engineering, and even then I don't know if you need chemistry HL).  As Teemo pointed out, HK universities often put quite a large emphasis on marks, although for engineering it's nowhere near as strict as, say, business or medicine.  Generally you'd need a score of about 35-36 to be considered.  

Just like to add that HKUST seems to offer the best facilities out of the three - I've been to CUHK for some summer courses, and their science and engineering departments have been kind of squashed by the medicine department.  My dad is a professor at HKUST, and from what I've seen the labs and overall facilities are quite a bit better (mostly shinier stuff, although the humidity can wreak havoc).  Can't say much on HKU (only been to the open days), but their engineering department seems quite small.  

 

19 hours ago, captain teemo on duty said:

As a hong kong student, you may probably know the importance of marks  when you apply to hong kong unis. I am a hongkonger as well but i decided to study at uk unviersities. As you indicated you would like to study math & physics hl, (these two are of course, essential to your programme you've chosen), the third HL subject is entirely 'free' for you to choose. Economics, although it seem difficult with that countless workloads, and quizzes, the only things count towards your final grade is

(3 *IA + Paper 1/2/3). IAs are pretty easy to hit 7, given you spend some time and check carefully before you submit. The 3 exam papers are really just repetition of past yrs.

Chemistry HL includes (IA) = investigation/lab report as you know, it's relatively difficult to get high scores. Paper 3 now contains a part where its from all part of the course, making it more challenging than previous years (before only options in paper 3). Paper 1/2 are fine, but there are always questions that challenge you, making most people getting a 6 than 7. 

What i mean is that economics hl is easier than chemistry hl in terms of marks predictability, and 'surprises' in exams. All the quizzes that you do now means nothing to your final grade, except of course internal assessments, which count 20% . 

 

Thank you for your responses.

In fact, I have some idea about how medicine field has been dominating CUHK and the emphasis on engineering given by HKU. Therefore, my aim is HKUST.

Judging my own ability, 35-36 SEEMS just manageable even with Chem HL. But do you guys think it is worth dropping, probably reducing the workload by a small margin?. I am aware that Chemistry HL is not an absolute requirement, but I think that the subject could give me more complementary knowledge with my subjects. This keeps me from considering Chem HL.

Just a question I have, Do you think it would be worth switching from Chem HL to Econ HL after the ib has started? What consequences would be there if I do so? I am not in that situation as I still have some time but I would like to know about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vamsi said:

 

Thank you for your responses.

In fact, I have some idea about how medicine field has been dominating CUHK and the emphasis on engineering given by HKU. Therefore, my aim is HKUST.

Judging my own ability, 35-36 SEEMS just manageable even with Chem HL. But do you guys think it is worth dropping, probably reducing the workload by a small margin?. I am aware that Chemistry HL is not an absolute requirement, but I think that the subject could give me more complementary knowledge with my subjects. This keeps me from considering Chem HL.

Just a question I have, Do you think it would be worth switching from Chem HL to Econ HL after the ib has started? What consequences would be there if I do so? I am not in that situation as I still have some time but I would like to know about it

I remembered when i interviewed HKUST, following with an offer for BBA for 35 points with 665 in HL subjects. 

Electronic engineering, I remember my classmates got an offer of 35/34 points with 665 in HL too. 

For the question on consequences of changing from chem to econ hl. There are certain internal assessments total 3, has to be completed in different periods during your 2 year. (actually i think its 4, but you choose the 3 best to send to ib). Also hl subjects have a minimum number of hours you have to be in class, for this purpose you should ask your teacher directly

 

hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.