Jump to content

Chem SL Paper 3 tips?

Recommended Posts

Paper 3 tomorrow and I'm worried about section A. What will we get tested on?? Like obviously conceptual things where we needa apply our skills but do you think we'll get questions from Topic 11?Like NMR/IR stuff? Or topic 1 stuff??? I'm stressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HL and AHL topics mainly show up on the data analysis question. For example in May 2016 SL P3, you were supposed to look at IR for O2 and O3 and see that because O3 vibrates in the IR region that it's a greenhouse gas. This is hopefully something you can reason out even if you didn't specifically study for it (like why else would it tell you that O3 vibrates in the infrared?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

HL and AHL topics mainly show up on the data analysis question. For example in May 2016 SL P3, you were supposed to look at IR for O2 and O3 and see that because O3 vibrates in the IR region that it's a greenhouse gas. This is hopefully something you can reason out even if you didn't specifically study for it (like why else would it tell you that O3 vibrates in the infrared?)

 

I'm SL. But yah i saw that question. But do you think they will ask about IR again if they did that already (recently)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, abelkoontz said:

I'm SL. But yah i saw that question. But do you think they will ask about IR again if they did that already (recently)?

It's unlikely that IB will ask the same question twice on data analysis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, abelkoontz said:

I'm SL. But yah i saw that question. But do you think they will ask about IR again if they did that already (recently)?

But they did have a question on the IR and the HNMR spectroscopy on the Nov 2016 exam.... I would have that prepared just in case... You may be asked to deduce the structure of a molecule using the data from those tests....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so scared for Section A, I mean I'm pretty good with my option but I tend to confuse stuff in Section A. Seeing as I did not really have Paper 3 practice could someone please specify what we have to know for Section A? (I'm SL btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shellziess said:

I am so scared for Section A, I mean I'm pretty good with my option but I tend to confuse stuff in Section A. Seeing as I did not really have Paper 3 practice could someone please specify what we have to know for Section A? (I'm SL btw)

 

for part a it is usually stuff like Global warming, Acid rain, Ozone depletion and for part be it is an experiment possibliy calorimetry, acid base titration, emperical formula experiment, investigating rate of reaction experimentally, voltaic cell working set up and how it works etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IB2017student said:

for part a it is usually stuff like Global warming, Acid rain, Ozone depletion and for part be it is an experiment possibliy calorimetry, acid base titration, emperical formula experiment, investigating rate of reaction experimentally, voltaic cell working set up and how it works etc.

And how would the questions be structured? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think first question is mostly interpreting the data, and the second about what maybe done wrong in the experiment, or some calculation, they can ask about improvements for the experiment. Sorry i am not really sure about the structure

Edited by IB2017student

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.