Chem SL Paper 3 tips?

abelkoontz

HL and AHL topics mainly show up on the data analysis question. For example in May 2016 SL P3, you were supposed to look at IR for O2 and O3 and see that because O3 vibrates in the IR region that it's a greenhouse gas. This is hopefully something you can reason out even if you didn't specifically study for it (like why else would it tell you that O3 vibrates in the infrared?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

HL and AHL topics mainly show up on the data analysis question. For example in May 2016 SL P3, you were supposed to look at IR for O2 and O3 and see that because O3 vibrates in the IR region that it's a greenhouse gas. This is hopefully something you can reason out even if you didn't specifically study for it (like why else would it tell you that O3 vibrates in the infrared?)

I'm SL. But yah i saw that question. But do you think they will ask about IR again if they did that already (recently)?

1 minute ago, abelkoontz said:

I'm SL. But yah i saw that question. But do you think they will ask about IR again if they did that already (recently)?

It's unlikely that IB will ask the same question twice on data analysis. 

35 minutes ago, abelkoontz said:

But they did have a question on the IR and the HNMR spectroscopy on the Nov 2016 exam.... I would have that prepared just in case... You may be asked to deduce the structure of a molecule using the data from those tests....

5 minutes ago, shellziess said:

I am so scared for Section A, I mean I'm pretty good with my option but I tend to confuse stuff in Section A. Seeing as I did not really have Paper 3 practice could someone please specify what we have to know for Section A? (I'm SL btw)

for part a it is usually stuff like Global warming, Acid rain, Ozone depletion and for part be it is an experiment possibliy calorimetry, acid base titration, emperical formula experiment, investigating rate of reaction experimentally, voltaic cell working set up and how it works etc.

Just now, IB2017student said:

for part a it is usually stuff like Global warming, Acid rain, Ozone depletion and for part be it is an experiment possibliy calorimetry, acid base titration, emperical formula experiment, investigating rate of reaction experimentally, voltaic cell working set up and how it works etc.

And how would the questions be structured?