Is this a good course selection ? Please Help !

mkandil

I'm going into Pre-IB right now and I have to choose my courses, so I chose this combination :

Arabic Language and Literature SL

English Language Acquisition HL

French Language Acquisition HL

Math SL

Economics HL

Chemistry SL

I still don't know what I want to study in college but my parents and all my teachers are telling me to take French Language and Literature and Math HL.

Should I do this or not ?

I'm really good at math but I still don't know what I want to major in in college so I can't choose between math SL and HL.

• 1 month later...

Since you have three languages and only one science as of right now, your courses already put you out of contention for almost all engineering programs (in North America and UK), where both chemistry and physics are pre-requisites. Hence, Math HL would be unnecessary, since engineering is the only faculty that really really requires/recommends the course (except certain math and physics faculties). However, it is always possible to drop from a HL course to a SL course, or drop for the exams, so you can go that direction as well.

The most important thing is to have a goal of what you want to do in university. Once you do, course selection will be a lot easier.

I initially went for Math SL too, but HL was the right decision.

Doubling on a group 2 does prevent using only IB to satisfy entry requirements. For example I took biology in summer school, but chem HL, and physics SL was enough for admissions. I recommend doubling in group 4.

I would advise you to take maths HL and avoid 2 Lang Bs in HL unless you would like to study linguistics. As @kw0573 has already mentioned, this will seriously limit your chances of getting into the STEM field (and certain specific degrees in parts of Europe and the US). 

Personally, I want to study medicine in the future so mathematics is not a necessity for me. Due to the competititve nature of the course, however, maths HL gives me a certain "edge" in my application. There are various other positive aspects of maths HL too - you become a critical thinker, and your problem-solving abilities improve greatly even over the course of a single year. The course itself is tough, I will admit that. Constant practice is a must, as work will pile up otherwise and therefore prevent you from doing well.