Sl Chemistry Exam- thoughts?

orangetardish

** just for paper 1 and 2, we can't talk about 3 yet :) 

What did you guys thing about the exams this session for sl chem? I'm so worried, I'm fairly sure I didn't do very well.

I'm TZ1, and I thought paper 1 was pretty difficult, and I ended up skipping a lot of questions in paper 2. Opinions from my classmates were pretty varied, some saying it was hard and some easy. What do guys think? Did you find it harder than the May 2016 exam?

I'm so sure I made so so many dumb mistakes. I'm literally kicking myself. I feel so bad :(( After a full year of studying and working hard, I can't believe I'm going to fail :( 

At this point, my only hope is that my IA mark will somehow bring me up :( 

I love Chemistry and honestly.. yeah.. the exams were hard, but they weren't terrible. Paper 1 was really tricky - the questions weren't hard, but all the answers that you could choose from were very confusing and similar, so it was easy to make a mistake. Paper 2 was easier in my opinion, but it was also tricky. Oh.. and paper 3 was a disaster - I chose option C and I absolutely hated all the questions that were asked

• Like 1

I'm gonna avoid talking about Paper 3 for now because the 24 hour rule confuses me based on time zones, but I found paper 1 and 2 easier than I thought they would be. Obviously not easy, I had to just throw random guesses down for questions on both of them, but based on how my classmates reacted it seemed easier for me than for many of them. Then again, half of my class took a nap half an hour into paper 2 because they just had no idea what to write, so I guess that's not too good of a comparison. 

Oh, and Kognity was a godsend for studying in the days leading up to the exam. My teacher had been telling us that Kognity wasn't useful, but I noticed that a few of the questions were regarding information that I definitely wouldn't have known if I hadn't studied Kognity and done the strength tests on there. 

The only really negative thing I have to say is that it annoyed me that the periodic table was attached to the inside of Paper 1 rather than given as a separate sheet of paper, because I had to spend time flipping back and forth in the test to look at the periodic table. Usually when I'm given reference materials attached to tests in class, I tear them off, but I figured that wasn't appropriate for an IB exam. 

6 hours ago, Moony_PirateKing said:

I ended up skipping a lot of questions in paper 2 and paper 3 was terrible because I couldn't figure out the biochem questions and had to do a topic we never learned in chemistry, so I know I did a lot of stuff wrong in that one. Paper 1 was ok.

You never did your option in chem?

7 hours ago, shellziess said:

We never did it in class either... we had to self study it. Our grade 10 teacher didn't teach us a lot of chemistry, so we had to spend quite a bit of time trying to learn the basics and hence, we didn't have time to do the optional chapter (or even 11.2-11.3) in class. So we all just used the textbooks to study it all :hisfault:

8 hours ago, shellziess said:

Nope. As revumol7 said, we also had to self study it. Our teacher photocopied a bunch of booklets but never taught us any of it. So I wasn't very certain about my understanding of the option and when I saw the actual paper 3 test I realized that a bunch of the stuff on there were not even mentioned in the photocopied booklets.

• 2 months later...