IOP - Strategies to interest the audience

Ali1415

Hi,

Criterion B for the IOP evaluates the strategies used to interest the audience. In order to get full marks for this criterion, do I need to create unique/creative strategies (e.g. a skit, an interactive component), or will the usual presentation strategies suffice? (Like audibility, eye contact, gestures).

Thanks!

Your strategy will need to suit your presentation, so don't force something creative into it. If you just plan on using the usual presentation strategies, your content will have to be really good in order to make your presentation intriguing. If you decide to go with a creative approach, it may even make up for some lacks in content. Either way, I think a somewhat interactive component is necessary to get a good mark for Criterion B, but something really out of the box may be very conducive.

Good luck!

Also, every school does things differently. Ours was just the usual presentation skills, but your teacher might have other ideas (though I very much doubt it - as Jasyun said, it depends from presentation to presentation). While they might not necessarily tell you for certai, there's no harm in asking your teacher what they would be looking for, for a bit of certainty!

Getting full marks for Presentation is probably a lot easier than it sounds. All you really need to do is practice your speech a lot, use logical hand gestures, try to eyeball every member of the audience at least once. A powerpoint will probably help, but don't make it to obstructive. I know that a few people in my cohort decided to add "inventive" features to their IOP, and these generally worked out in terms of marks. As a member of the audience, I was not a fan of people who made obvious efforts to be quote, unquote "engaging". It seemed obvious and, honestly a little bit ham-fisted in the majority of cases. 

Regardless of what you decide, within reason, it probably won't cost you marks.

• Like 1