IB Subject Selection

mkandil

I'm going into IB right now and I have to choose my courses, so I chose this combination :

Arabic Language and Literature SL

English Language Acquisition HL

French Language Acquisition HL

Math SL

Economics HL

Chemistry SL

I still don't know what I want to study in college (It's either economics and political science or engineering) but my parents and all my teachers are telling me to take French Language and Literature SL and Math HL.

Should I do this or not ?

I'm really good at math but I still don't know what I want to major in in college so I can't choose between math SL and HL.

Math HL opens more options compared to French HL, so I can see why your teachers recommend that you choose math HL.  It's highly useful when applying for math intensive courses like engineering and finance.  If you want to keep your options open, then it's a good idea to choose math HL.  

With that said, it's dependent on whether or not you find the course to be suitable for you.  Math HL has a reputation for being quite difficult, and it's a good idea to do some research on what the course may entail.  Search online for the math HL syllabus, as well as pre-requisite knowledge, and you should be able to make a good judgement for yourself.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SC2Player said:

Math HL opens more options compared to French HL, so I can see why your teachers recommend that you choose math HL.  It's highly useful when applying for math intensive courses like engineering and finance.  If you want to keep your options open, then it's a good idea to choose math HL.  

With that said, it's dependent on whether or not you find the course to be suitable for you.  Math HL has a reputation for being quite difficult, and it's a good idea to do some research on what the course may entail.  Search online for the math HL syllabus, as well as pre-requisite knowledge, and you should be able to make a good judgement for yourself.  

Thanks for your help, I think I'll choose Math HL in the end because finance is my first choice.