Chemistry HL Paper 3 Discussion

IB`NOT`ez

Paper 3s are also split into TZ1 and TZ2 (TZ2 here).

Imo Paper 3 was decent in terms of difficulty for the option, and had slightly easier experimental-based questions. However the data-analysis question in Section A was harder to tackle than in previous years imo.

Did Option B Biochemistry. 

Also from my perspective of the overall difficulties of the Papers for TZ2, my approximate prediction for grade boundaries for level 7 is as follows:

Paper 1: 34-40/40

Paper 2: 70-95/95

Paper 3: 33-45/45

IA: 20-24/24

The overall boundary would be about 76 or 77-100(%) overall for a 7. Slightly lower than the 78% during May 2016 as our exams overall were of a harder difficulty, based on people's perspectives from Reddit and friends in other schools. However would about the same boundary as 76% in November 2016 which had an easier Paper 2, but a (slightly) harder Paper 3.

oh did biochem tooo.... i wrote about the measuring of temperature, pressure, volume and mass of the butane in the section A... but my friends thought this is wrong.. what did you say??

1 hour ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

Paper 3s are also split into TZ1 and TZ2 (TZ2 here).

Imo Paper 3 was decent in terms of difficulty for the option, and had slightly easier experimental-based questions. However the data-analysis question in Section A was harder to tackle than in previous years imo.

Did Option B Biochemistry. 

Also from my perspective of the overall difficulties of the Papers for TZ2, my approximate prediction for grade boundaries for level 7 is as follows:

Paper 1: 34-40/40

Paper 2: 70-95/95

Paper 3: 33-45/45

IA: 20-24/24

The overall boundary would be about 76 or 77-100(%) overall for a 7. Slightly lower than the 78% during May 2016 as our exams overall were of a harder difficulty, based on people's perspectives from Reddit and friends in other schools. However would about the same boundary as 76% in November 2016 which had an easier Paper 2, but a (slightly) harder Paper 3.

14 minutes ago, IB2017student said:

oh did biochem tooo.... i wrote about the measuring of temperature, pressure, volume and mass of the butane in the section A... but my friends thought this is wrong.. what did you say??

That should be about right. Everything from pV=nRT must be measured, and that would give you 3 marks out of 4 at least – dunno your friends' rationale but you've got the right of it. 

• Like 1