What to do:  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Continue with your failed experiment and try to explain it

• Good idea
    • Not a good idea
  2. 2. Change your topic / research question in Biology

• Good idea
    • Not a good idea
  3. 3. Change your Extended Essay subject and make a new topic / research question

• Good idea
    • Not a good idea

So I'm doing my EE in Biology and my research question is "To what extent does constant cold acclimation at the temperatures 18˚, 5˚, and 0˚ degrees centigrade affect the seed germination rate and subsequent total biomass yield produced in Phleum pratense L. (Timothy grass)?".

The experiment was supposed to investigate the effects of seeds germinated under cold temperatures and the effect on the biomass produced in seeds after germination among different temperatures. I even had some data with around an 80% germination rate for the seeds at 10˚C. But 10 days in, and 100% of the seeds at 18˚ (my control group!) germinated and 0% of the seeds germinated in both the 5˚ & 0˚ groups.

I have no ideas for any other topics in Biology. What do I do? Continue writing the EE with my failed experiment and try to come up with reasons why it failed, and even attempt to state that this could be beneficial to the scientific community? Try to switch research questions within Biology? Or do I all out switch subjects to English and just "type away"? I need answers quick, because I have 9 weeks left until I have to present an EE without a conclusion.

Future message to those who reply: Thank you for taking your time to read and answer!

I would not continue your EE with a failed experiment that is for sure. Either change your subject completely or change the topic within biology. I had two people in my class who also had to change their bio EE and I knew one person who completely changed their subject to English. 

• Like 1

You can change your RQ to something that your experiment can explain. For example you can remove the part about biomass and look at germination only. I think it should make sense that the seeds don't germinate if the temperature is too low. You can also try other temperatures in between 18 and 5 degrees. 

I disagree with @shellziess. You should do the EE in your best subject and like I said if you change the RQ slightly the result of your experiment is not altogether surprising or unexpected. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shellziess said:

I would not continue your EE with a failed experiment that is for sure. Either change your subject completely or change the topic within biology. I had two people in my class who also had to change their bio EE and I knew one person who completely changed their subject to English. 

34 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

You can change your RQ to something that your experiment can explain. For example you can remove the part about biomass and look at germination only. I think it should make sense that the seeds don't germinate if the temperature is too low. You can also try other temperatures in between 18 and 5 degrees. 

I disagree with @shellziess. You should do the EE in your best subject and like I said if you change the RQ slightly the result of your experiment is not altogether surprising or unexpected. 

I'd just like to thank both of you for replying. @kw0573 I feel as if I have lost all sense of direction in my EE because I thought I had everything planned out, I had around 1200+ words early in and was just waiting for my experiment to succeed so I could finish analyzing my data. All I can think about is English atm. But regardless, any ideas for the direction a "quick and easy" Biology topic I can research write and complete in around 2 weeks would head in? 

Edited by Kai_Harry
clarification

1 minute ago, Kai_Harry said:

I'd just like to thank both of you for replying. @kw0573 I feel as if I have lost all sense of direction in my EE because I thought I had everything planned out, I had around 1200+ words early in and was just waiting for my experiment to succeed so I could finish analyzing my data. All I can think about is English atm.

I understand. It's completely your choice and we presented our perspectives. Keep in mind that English EEs are still not guaranteed As or Bs and they also require extensive research so if you are changing your subject do it wisely. I changed my topic in December of IB2 so I understand what you are going through but I believe that you can succeed. I hope that whatever decision you make is well thought out, with input from your supervisors and peers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

I understand. It's completely your choice and we presented our perspectives. Keep in mind that English EEs are still not guaranteed As or Bs and they also require extensive research so if you are changing your subject do it wisely. I changed my topic in December of IB2 so I understand what you are going through but I believe that you can succeed. I hope that whatever decision you make is well thought out, with input from your supervisors and peers. 

I must agree that english does not guarantee an A or B. I know for a fact that I am on the edge between a B&C, so you must be wise with your English EE and what topic you choose. Also I would not do English if you're not good at it. 

• Like 2